1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you figure out selling price for older basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cchorney, Mar 22, 2013.

1. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    So I am considering selling a couple of my basses:

Guild SB-202, Candy apple red w/ white pg
    Washburn Force 8 Chicago. BBR
    Fender MIM Jazz fretless with painted lines, sunburst

The Fender I can see similar used prices online because they are relatively common in the used market and still being sold new ($600), so used around $400.

But the other ones I have no idea how to price them. They are in very good condition, but I don't know if there is a collector's market. Neither are on eBay or currently up for sale at Guitar Center's used section.

I saw this http://oliviasvintageguitars.com/bass/guitars/2073/ and either I am holding a valuable bass or this site is waiting for a sucker. I can't tell.

Suggestions?

2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Oooooh! I used to have a CAR red SB202. Selling that was the biggest mistake I ever made.
    Private sales, usually best to go by completed ebay listings. Dealers pricing is typically way up in the stratosphere since they can afford to sit on products for very long periods of time.

My CAR 82 sold on ebay for 750.

here the completed listing page. http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=guild+sb202&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

3. cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Thanks Caca de Kick, I like the sound of these basses, and the Guild was my first new bass, but they aren't getting any playing time so they are taking up space.

I think I will put the Guild up on eBay, the Fretless on CL for market price, and the Washburn may go to an area musician who suggested he might be willing to pay $400 for it.

If any of that sounds like I'm throwing away money someone please talk me down from that ledge - I'm flying blind here!

4. eBay is a good way to go because they don't charge you if it doesn't sell. I've relisted some gear for months bringing down the starting price gradually until I sold it. On eBay I would stay away from reserves and shipping costs. Start your price to include what you want for shipping and don't charge separately for shipping. You'll get a lot more views if it shows on eBay as no reserve and free shipping.

Honestly it would probably be harder than you think to get 400 out of the Mim jazz these days. A lot people buy them and decide that fretless isn't for them. So there's a bunch for sale used. You also have to remember that Mim jazz prices new jumped up a lot in the last couple years. So paying 400 for a fretless that might have been 499 new the year before is pushing it.

Unfortunately with the economy being the way it is, its a buyers market not a sellers market. I recently sold an American ampeg 810e with a roadcase for $600. I had $1600 invested in it. But I had it for a decade so I figured I got my money's worth. Even just a few years back I sold several rare basses for example;a custom Ernie ball and an original warwick FNA that I basically got all my money back on because the warwick was discontinued and the Ernie ball was a custom and some people really like custom shop basses from name brand companies and dont want to wait 6-12 months to have one built. But the last year or two its gotten much more difficult to sell gear for a decent price. Which is a big part of why a lot of instrument and amp builders are hurting. Because peoe aren't flipping gear to buy new stuff like they used to.

5. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Buy a Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide! It's like a blue book for basses.

I also suggest you try selling via TB classified ads before eBay.

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I get that magazine monthy and it is well done but the prices IMO on vintage gear is way high and aimed at dealers selling prices. Most are to high on there and not where market is at. there are 78-79 Fender on there going for $2200-2500.00..yea in what world?

7. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    + 1!! Get the 2013 version.

Be aware though, that not every instrument is listed; most are.

8. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Don't sell them, just buy More!

9. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    At the moment it appears everything is selling pretty low, really.

10. cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    any answers are good answers, so than you all. Can someone who already has the book (or has recently bought one) tell me if asking $400 for the Washburn Force-8 Chicago BBR is too low?

11. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The Vintage Guitar Price Guide is useless. I remember in the olde days I'd go to a guitar shop/show and when I found a guitar I liked that I thought was overpriced, I'd mention to the dealer "But the VG Price Guide says this should be lower", to which the response would be "We don't use that. If you can find one of those at that price, go buy it".

Ebay is the only solid bellweather for used gear pricing. It's the first place a shop will go to find current pricing before making you an offer on gear you're trading in or selling. I'd like to say TB is good too, but half the time, the seller erases the price once he sells the bass - which is really annoying.

12. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
  13. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    My guide is about 10-years old and I find it pretty close to current market pricing. ;)

14. cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Wow... well I am declaring mine then to be an extra super good condition one... and it comes with a hard case... and the buyer can always try to negotiate from my $400 starting point. :)

15. cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Just as a follow up, sold the 94/95 fender jazz mim fretless sunburst on CL. Local sale. Asked $350, got $325. Threw in the Fender soft case.