Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you find a good setup tech?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'm sure this has been beat to death, so I apologize in advance.

How can somebody non-technical like myself find a setup person who is good? I have *no* problem finding really bad ones. Is there some certification or something that is recognized? I realize word of mouth is good, but I don't talk to any other bassists. I'm looking for something like a list of 6 questions to ask the tech before I entrust them with my instrument. Also, it would be helpful to understand how much one would expect to pay a good tech. For now, after reading a few posts, and realizing that every bass I get, new or otherwise, needs to be properly set up, I'm interested in what the fair price is for a professional set up.

Thanks - Skel

2. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    I'm not an expert on finding the right people, but I imagine if you find a shop where the tech proudly displays his luthier degree or certification, you might be in the right place.

Anyone that advertises themselves as a luthier will probably also be fairly competent.

I knew one in Michigan when I was living there and he did both.

I do all my setups now and am probably headed down the road depicted by others where I'll have all my friends coming to me.

3. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Become the solution. (with all due respect) Learn to do your own setups. (they aren't hard)

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yea - I here you and that makes sense. The really stupid thing is; until I read that you needed to have your new bass set up properly, I've never had *any* problem. I bought a new Ric 4003 from MF, and I love the way it plays. I bought a Geddy the other day from GC, and I love the way it plays. I'm getting a MIA '57 RI Precision from "the Bass Place", and it was used at the NAMM show, so I would think it's already setup. Last, my MIM precision that I bought at GC about 7 years ago plays great. It buzzes just a bit when I put new strings on, but after about 4 days it's perfect.

Skel

5. mariner

mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    I wouldn't say that every bass you buy from a shop needs to be setup. if you bought it online, I would certainly give it a once over.

I'm a lefty and wanted a 6-string so bad, but they were never near my budget. I found Rondo and got a Brice Pretige Z. Out of the Box, it really wasn't that great. After a little effort, you wouldn't believe how many compliments I get on it's tone.

The key is, only you know how you like to have it feel. Factory specs don't always apply to everyone.

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    +1