Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do you fix a noisy volume pot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by banditcosmo, Oct 9, 2002.

1. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I have an Eden WT amp and when I'm adjusting the volume I hear a little static or scatchy noise. Is there some way to fix this with out taking it to a tech?

2. Sure.

Head out to Radio Shack and get some spray contact cleaner they make for doing this. If you explain what you want to the sales clerk he can hook you up.

Unplug the amp, take the cover off it and spray the contact cleaner inside the pot. Rotate the knob several times in each direction, give it a few minutes to dry and your problem should be solved.

good luck!

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    But a lot of pros will tell you that spray not really solves the problem, it only postpones it. If it's sealed you can't get the spray inside anyway.
    Replace the pot.

4. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    That pot is probably attached to a printed wiring board and the conection has faild. You can have it serviced at a local Eden authorized dealer or (I recomend) shipping it off to Eden.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    if you go to radio shack and get pot cleaner, make sure you get the right kind...some pots take a compressed air/lubricant (wet) cleaner, and some take a dry cleaner. like what was said earlier, you may just be postponing the inevitable, but you will get a little more life out of it...if, in fact, it is dirty. greg curbow recommended the same stuff to me for a pot on my rockwood six...sounds great now, btw. that was about 6 months ago.