Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you fix a scratch

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Joe Taylor, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    I,ve managed to scratch the edge of my bass. I want to fix it. The closest luthier that I trust is about 120 miles round trip. I would have to leave my bass from a Saturday to the next Saturday. So,
    I't's home repair time.

What kind of varnish do I use? The maker says "sprite varnish", is that spar varnish?

Do I just layer on the varnish or do i feather the scratch then layer it on.

OH MAN the more I think about it the more a trip to IFSHINS looks better.

Joe

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That'd be spirit varnish, which is alcohol based and used by violin family makers. "Sprite varnish" is only used by fairies.

3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Joe-
    What resource do you have in terms of purchasing your touch-up materials? This is really not hardware store technology. But I can't see you driving all that way for a scratch, so I would recommend that you think of doing it yourself.
    Spirit varnish is the most common medium for touch up and I'd be happy to work you through some of the basics.
    You need to first think about the colour. The varnish achieves its hue through many coats-in spirit it could be 20-30 coats. So each coat is not very dark. This approach is not very practical in everyday touch-up. So just buying let's say amber varnish [if your bass is amber] will not be your only step. It's not practical to give a scratch 20-30 coats of varnish [excepting anal retentive types]. What you need to do is acquire some purer colours that can be dissolved in alcohol so you can colour the scratch in first before applying sealing varnish. This does not duplicate the original varnish but it is a practical repair of a scratch.
    Anyway, I'm getting way tired so I gotta sign off-I hope some of this helps. Reply back and I'll go into more detail.

Marcus-good one about "sprite varnish"

4. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    never said I could spell!

Im headed to Ifshins Going to get done right too start with. That way I wont have tp pay to have the fix fixed.

Jeff, isn't the rate for fixing a fix about 3x the rate for regular work!

Thanks guy's