Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do you get a gig

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by benjamintowle, Jun 11, 2001.

1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    how does a band with members under 18 get gigs .not those crappy little punks shows.

2. ross

ross Guest

Mar 17, 2000
    this one is easy you go up to all the club and resturant owners you can you talk with,then with your best manners you negotiate and then well you might have to mom or dad at your gig but it should work.

3. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Firstly, don't be dismissive of any potential gigs - there's a good chance you'll have to put up with "crappy little punks shows" for a while. Play anywhere you can, within reason - school recitals, weddings, bar mitzfahs, anything. Frankly, if you're just starting out, you can't turn your nose up at anything - and don't be afraid to play for free, either. You're not going to make your fortune just yet.

I take from what you're saying is that you've got your eye on playing clubs and such - well, I don't know whether or not the situation is different in the US, but I was playing in pubs and clubs long before I was eighteen. As long as you don't try to drink, there's no problem. (And bearing in mind that the drinking age is 21 in America, I wouldn't think it would be.) The main stumbling block for clubs in my experience is that they normally ask for a demo before they put you on, so you'll need one of them. And that's a whole different story, Benjamin my friend... ;)

4. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    i know you should take every gig you can .i wounldnt care if i make money .i dont want to do the little crappoy punk shows.i hate this punk now a days .some little winning little kid singing about how his girl friend dump him or some thing like that i hate.i like punk but to me the little crappy punks shows is crap .i dont reeally want to do clubs ether like i live in a hick town so its a drive.steve o slc punk "i not a f..cking hick"..partyes would be cool but i would be to afard of getting hit with a bottle.what other shows is there to play for like a band of 15 year olds.o yah about the demo tape how many 15 year old kids have the money to make a demo tape.all my money goes to my gass problems.

5. I KNEW I smelled something :D

Oh and please, capitalize your I's, its just annoying, but I see youre getting better

And not all punk is about whining, those would be probably the only type of gig you could get when youre 15.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Learn to communicate effectively with the sort of people who will be promoting gigs.......;)

The real answer has been mentioned already I think - the main way is a CD of your music with a professionally-printed cover and possibly some glossy promotional material that tells you a bit about the band.

7. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Believe me, I know how you feel - I think a lot of people do. Bear in mind it doesn't have to be perfect CD quality - as long as it gives an idea of what you sound like, it should get you at least a few gigs. A bugger, I know, but hey, welcome to the wonderful world of music. ;)

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have no idea what sort of music you play, but you can promote gigs YOURSELF.

Most towns have veteran's or church halls that you can rent for low money. I used to rent a local church hall for $50 a night! Rent or borrow a PA if you don't have one that's up to snuff.

Then go out and advertise the show, tell everyone you know about it, etc. Let's say you get the hall for $100 and $100 to rent a PA. You need $200 up front if you charge $5 at the door with 40 people you've broken even. With 140 people you just made $500 which is more than any club will pay you!

Also try hooking up with other bands that are compatible with yours from other towns; invite them to play at your show if they will reciprocate with putting on a show in their town.