Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you get grind???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Rumzini, May 3, 2004.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Not sure if this belongs here, setup, or effects. I have an Ibanez BTB 510, Hartke 4000, Ibanez Phat Head, Boss Chourus, and Avatar 212 and 410...I'm looking for a Tim Commerfeld type grind but just can't seem to dial it in. The amount of control that I have just seems to be daunting at times. It would seem like I would be able to dial something in but it just seems like fuzz to me. I know that Tim uses overdriven cabs...is that hte only way? What is this Ampeg grind I hear about? Anyone, anyone?

2. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

If "grind" refers to his distortion tone, Tim used different ways to get that sound. His original distortion was a marshall guv'nor. After that he experimented with different pedals and custom built his own stompbox. In addition he's had alot of work done on his amps and pickups, such using different wire gauges. Currently in audioslave he uses amp distortion. Right now his distortion head is Ashdown I believe. There was an article on him in Bass PLayer a few months ago, if you can find it it'll help alot.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The analysis of Tim C's distortion tone is in "Bass Gear". In fact, there's another topic on him and his distortion in the Bassists forum. Take a peak, from what I recall, it's got some awesome insights.