How do you get out of a musical slump??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    Hey guys.. i dunno where to put this so im gonna put it here..

a while back me and my girlfriend broke up and well since.. ive just been so dryyyyy musicly.. i duno whats wrong with me, but my girlfriend was my life.. and im moving on.. but my music?? i wanna record and finish up this record soo bad.. but i dont know if i can! I have 9 songs complete and ive recorded 3 in the past month. Thats pretty slow for me to be honest. Im hearing so much stuff now about me. .from friends that certian person is saying.. now my ex is talking to my lead singer.. talking to my best friend and telling her stuff.. saying she didn't cheat on me. Honestly, with what happened, I would say yeah she probably did and i heard she did. But all i told my friends were "probably" i told em i didn't know for sure but it sure looks like it. Shes a lier, and thats the main reason i dont wanna be with her anymore. But it hurts, because well i relize that im alone, I know I will love again but that magic that used to be there. The foxy grandpas and Ashley....
    that was my life.. Now I feel so hollow from the inside. I cant think of good riffs. Everything was Magic, I suprised myself, the way things used to come together. I dunno maybe they still are the same and i just lost confidence but its hurting me. Not so much my romantic life but my musical life more.(i really love the bass)
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Take a break.
    Let it (the recording) rest for a while. You're obviously too busy dealing with other things (breakup etc.) to focus on it right now.
    Try doing some new things, try to meet new people, do some sports(!) etc.

I know that's easier said than done (I'm always a borderline depressive person :p ), but this helps a lot IME.
  3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Play some style of music you don't usually play. Find some players that play different music than you are used to and ask them to jam. I find that when I'm in a rut musically I go to a jam night. Seems like they are getting harder to find around here, though. Sometimes you get to play with good players, sometimes you get stuck with not so good players. The good players will push you, the not so good players will make you feel better about your playing.

Chris A.:rolleyes:
  4. Excellent advise by JMX : do some sports !
    It might sound a bit strange, but it really helps clear your mind.
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The (ex)girlfreind part, that just takes time. You'll heal, but you have to want to move on. Bass is a good way to start.
  6. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    Well.. i went skateboarding with a couple of buds that i haven't seen in...well.. a couple months..
    typical.."KoRn" type kids.. but they are cool to hang with.. we sang Cannible Corpse in the car!

Well my friend hit his face on my other friends dashboard.. the one that was driving, and well his nose started bleeding.. so we went to this kids house and... well.. Put.. a "womens highjean product" in his nose.. and.. you know what??

just like the cartoon!..

It was my idea! :D
  7. Try some new drugs, especially addictive ones. Your craft will really benefit from a nice heroin addiction, especially when your left hand is paralyzed for a week because you were jonesing so bad that you hit a nerve when you were shooting up.

8. note to self: get heroin
    lots of it
  9. a girl came up to me and my punk friend joe in school today and goes:
    "hey, is that joe howland?"
    and we're like yeah (my friend that was right there is joe howland)
    "oh, sorry, i don't recognize him with out a tampon in his mouth."
    apparently he ate one when he was stoned.