1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you get the audience to drink more?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ortus, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Ortus

Ortus

Apr 12, 2010
    New York, NY
    As any pro musician knows, most club owners only really care about one thing: selling booze. I thought it might be fun/informative to hear everyone's tips, tricks, and techniques for getting the audience to drink heavily. Let's hear 'em!

2. Simple - play dance music.

3. PJMiDi

PJMiDi

Feb 27, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    +1000

4. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    You've got to create a party atmosphere.

Good Dance music / feelgood music / some singalong easy-type-stuff that everybody knows like Beatle's "Birthday".
    (It's always somebody's birthday - today, this week, this month, this year if you have to)

Play it - they'll dance and singalong to it, then follow with another irresistable dance tune or two, then give them a chance to order drinks.

Make it a party - they'll be drinking soon enough if you have decent waitresses who know how to move it move it move it.

:hyper::bassist::hyper::bassist::hyper:

5. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    About 4-5 years ago, my prog original band was playing a place we had done a few shows at - at the end of the night, the comment the owner made to our keyboardist who was collecting the money was "I like the band, but people don't drink enough at your shows".

My plan for the next time was to bring bags of salty pretzels and chips and put them on each table. Salty food makes people buy more beer.

We got yelled at for taking away from their kitchen business.

Last time I played there - some people you can't please.

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yup. Make 'em dance. I have *never* understood musicians who get it in their heads that playing dance music is somehow undignified. Lame, mucho lame. To me, there's nothing you can do with your clothes on that's more fun than getting a crowd on the dance floor.

7. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    +1. You said it man.

Dance music bring in fine ladies, which brings in guys, which brings in more ladies, etc... Then you have a party.

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Keep people dancing that's the big one.

In The Red (My band) leads by example. We party with the best of them.

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    A bar is typically not the best place for a prog band to perform. I like that kind of material myself. But if you're gonna play prog, most likely you're going to have to think way outside the box when it comes to finding creative places to perform... :meh:

MM

10. crusie

crusie

Oct 19, 2009
    Djursland, Denmark
    make drinking games. tell them about the bars specials. tell them that you're thirsty. let them buy drinks for you even if you don't pay for drinks. also make sure you tell them that as a band your drinks at half the price - you just say they are for the band when you order the at the bar. then make sure the bar personal don't put any booze in your drinks - so you actually drink soda all night. that way you can consume alot more, not getting drunk, have the bar have a huger turn-over.

whiskey in jar - don't play that one with out making sure everyone who requests it drinks whiskey.

so many cheap tricks - so little time :D

also tell the women that the men gets prettier the more they drink. and the males that the women get more lustier the more they drink.... I guess you kinda get my drift.... a man doesn't order drinks just for the ladies, they always get a beer or something for them selves. I guess it's a primal thing.

also make sure the bar has bundle offers like.... one beer x price 4 beers at the price of 3.
    or even better - let them buy beer coupons. 10 beers on a coupon for the price of 8. some guys always loose their coupons.... plus it saves the bar for some credit card transactions so they don't waste time waiting at the terminal.

just my 2 cents

11. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Easy. You covertly introduce an undetectable amount of mary jane smoke into the ventilation system. Thirty minutes later, the audience will have the munchies and dry mouth, and voila!! Instant thirst. Big time!

12. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    "Buy the band a round of drinks and get one free!" People will actually fall for that one, and I don't mind buying a guy a drink if he buys a round for the band.

13. What'd you expect? It's PROG ROCK...of course people are going to lose their appitites. :eyebrow:

Progressive Rock: 1. an entire musical genre dedicated to ostentatious musicial showmanship and prolonged soloing.
    2. wanking (usually four to twelve minutes in length)
    Also see: Wankfest

Play some music that the general public can get into and party to. You won't have to spend your money on salty snacks to make the bartender think people are having fun.

BTW, I think "Wankfest" would be an awesome name for a Prog Rock band. :bag:

(this whole post was just a joke...kinda) boxing-1.gif

14. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    :rolleyes:

15. not lame maybe but limiting.....back in the day most of the bars here had no dance floors and bands got to play a lot of music of varying tempos,odd time sigs and all kinds that would never be allowed these days.....didn't do much dancin' but they were packed every night and the music/bar scene was a blast.....

16. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    No one calls Rush "wankfest" and gets away with it if I have anything to do with it! :p

I do have to admit, some prog gets on my nerves because the bands can be alittle pretentious about their own skill.

Back to OP, we play some fast slap bass centered songs. People tend to wanna drink to it, I guess.

17. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Firstly, I always start off my vocal sound-checks with "Reeeall men of geenniuuussss. Today, we salute you Mr. Rolling-Cooler Cooler-Roller."

So, I get the notion of beer into their heads, and it gets a good laugh. Then, after a few good songs,

"How you guys feeling tonight?"
    **pause for applause**
    "I can't hear you, I said, how are you all feeling tonight?"
    **another pause**
    "Well, that was a little bit better, but there are too many empty cups to make me think that you guys are actually having a good time. I promise you - we sound better with every beer. Now, all the beers in the house, let me really hear it - HOW ARE YOU FEELING TONIGHT?!"
    **cheer**
    **commence music**

One time, for a charity event, I asked the only girl rocking out to come up on stage with us and have a shot, on the band's tab. I even followed it up by asking the audience to buy a drink and take a shot with the band - for charity. It worked. I've never not been personally invited back by the owner himself.

Just interact with the audience and make comments about your beer being incredibly quenching and delicious.

18. LawDaddy

LawDaddy

Oct 16, 2009
    20-minute funk medley.

19. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I posted in another thread about how the band leader for a country band I was subbing for got me all FUBAR'd on Jack Daniels.

His thing is the "Hollar and swaller". Basically, he announces it's time fer a holler an swaller, lifts his shot glass high (The bar, and the band mostly follows suit, you give your best rebel yell, down your shot, start playing the next tune and the waitstaff comes up to re-load.)

It's a whole lot of fun, and people seem to dig it, but you do three a set and the last half of the night can require the utmost concentration......

20. billhilly66

billhilly66

Aug 25, 2007
    Plano, TX
    You gotta lead by example.