1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you get the smoke smell out of your basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DeeCup, Mar 20, 2009.

1. DeeCup

DeeCup

Mar 16, 2009
    I don't smoke, but I play in smoky places.

When I open up my bass at home, it stinks. I play it, then my hands stink. You don't notice in when you're in the bar, but you sure notice in your smoke-free home.

Are there any tips or tricks for keeping the smoke smell out of your equipment? I'm thinking dryer sheets maybe? thanks in advance

2. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    Nag Champa incense, put a couple unburned in your case and they will help the smell go away pronto!:bassist:

3. ericsmith

ericsmith

Dec 22, 2008
    Don't really have a clue but try to wipe it with some lemon? Like the neck and strings. Lemon usually covers most smells.

Again just a guess, haven't tried it myself.

4. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    wash it with lemon oil

G

5. Dee-
    Part of the smell is on your bass, but a lot of it could also be in the lining of your case. Make sure you clean it when you're cleaning your bass.

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I haven't had this problem, but i heard you should STAY AWAY from Febreeze - some people had some problems with it damaging the finish on their basses, or so I've read

7. Sprinkle baking soda in your case, let it sit for a day or so and vacuum it out.

8. Start smoking, after a while you won't notice it anymore ;)

9. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    try the Nag Champa in the case for extended protection. but try a diluted lemon juice and water combo on the bass/strings. also try some standard guitar polish. i treat my bass with ernie ball guitar polish, and it never smells. you may also try vinegar/water solution and febreeze the inside of your case