1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you get this tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ea423, Oct 31, 2013.

1. ea423

ea423

Oct 24, 2013
    This might be better suited for another forum, but I figure it's relevant here. How do you get this sound? The player (Erick Coomes) has played a P-Bass every time I've seen him. I love that tone - punchy and warm - and want to emulate it...and also know nothing about gear, etc. :D I figure TB's input would point me in the right direction. What say you all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ohZjCKzjg

2. ea423

ea423

Oct 24, 2013
    I should take this a step furthur - I've been learning on a POS Ibanez gio starter bass. Looking to spend decent money on a new bass now that I've committed to playing and I really love the feel of a Jazz Bass over the P. Would this tone be easily attainable on the jazz?

3. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Yeah a p or J should do just fine. A P/J bass would probably be your best bet IMO

4. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Also what amp are you using and what are your EQ settings?

5. ea423

ea423

Oct 24, 2013
    I've got an Ampeg BA112. Worth noting that only the active output works. There's a place in town who says they can fix it for $100 or so. Once I get a new bass, I'll probably do that. EQ settings hover around the halfway mark across the board.

6. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Sounds like a PJ with nickel roundwounds and tone rolled down a little bit to me.
    My Yamaha BB415 sounds very similar to this.

7. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    This is a RECORD.

There is far more involved that "what bass is this?".

Starting with the player - his sound concept, his hands.

Then there is the recording chain.

Is it a DI?

Is it an amp? What speakers? What mic or mics?

What preamps?

Compressors?

Computer amp modeling?

Takes a lot.

8. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Try boosting your mids by a few levels. I wouldn't worry about that input issue though. All it does is require you to turn the master volume up a little more. Not really worth dropping a 100$ on it.

9. ea423

ea423

Oct 24, 2013
    Well I'm not simply asking what bass that is - I know it's a P-Bass. I'm just wondering what other elements are at play and, hopefully, figure out a way to come close to it.

10. ea423

ea423

Oct 24, 2013
    Cool. Thanks for the input.

11. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
  12. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    To me it sounds like a P bass with some treble rolled off and a little bit of tube or simulated tube warmth added. Plus the bass is being doubled by either a keyboard or a guitar through some kind of flange or envelope filter.

13. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    I gave them to you.