1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you get this tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ericmknight1906, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    There is no clip. :confused:

2. Your link is broken my friend. Go to the page of the video and get the link from the "URL" box to the right of the video.

3. I have no idea why this link won't work when you double-click it. But, if you cut n paste it to your search bar it will take you straight to the video. If the video doesn't start right away then click "watch again" to activate it. The guy seems to be getting frustrated with his groove but at least he has a nice. What I want to know is how does he get that tone? It kinda sounds like a xylophone and not a bass guitar. And, he's barely touching the strings and getting incredible sound. The only other time I've ever heard that tone is when victor wooten played Amazing Grace.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kbxUBrfFs4

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    New strings through a bad camera mic ought to get you in the ball park. It didn't hear any effects, but I skipped around because the clip was a rambling mess.

5. www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kbxUBrfFs4

Cut and paste the above link to your search bar and It should take you straight to the video. If you just double click it won't work for whatever reason. If the video doesn't start right away then click "watch again" to activate it.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    A-ha! I get it- you're talking about right at the beginning of the clip, right? Those are harmonics. If you barely rest your fingertip on the string above the fret point, and pluck, with practice you can play the harmonics of each note, it sounds like a bell or xylophone. He was plucking right back by the bridge; certain effects like distortion can bring out the harmonics more easily, but Wooten gets them just with finger technique.

7. Wow!! I'm just amazed that you were able to get the clip to work!::hyper:
    And yes, the beginning is what I was referring to.
    So you are telling me that this sound is created by finger technique for the most part? Thank you for the feedback. I will do more research now that I have a clue what it is. ;)

8. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    He has some heavy distortion going along with the harmonics though, gives it an almost synthy-ish tone as well as making them easier to play.

-Dash

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Here's a clip where I play a couple of harmonics (poorly :rolleyes: ):
    http://www.ev-b.com/mp3s/AP7lick.mp3
    The fuzz effect is what allowed me to pull out those higher notes, which are harmonics off the D and G strings at the 4th and 5th frets.

10. Okay. can you play one with just the raw bass? I'm not good enough to pick the harmonic apart from the distortion yet unfortunately:rolleyes:

And yes I've tried it. It's actually tougher than I thought it would be.

11. http://media.putfile.com/harmonics-11

I don't know if that's exactly what you're after, but it seems like you just want to hear what a harmonic is?

If so, that's me playing harmonics on a Spector Performance, without any distortion or anything, just the hartke vxl DI and mobilepre I used to record.

Hope it helps!

12. Perfect! thanks

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    He beat me to it, but here's another clip:
    http://www.ev-b.com/mp3s/harm.mp3
    I'm just playing on the 4th and 5th frets, each note first fretted normally and then lightly to play the harmonic.

14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
  15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks, Man.

I'm working on it. Gotta learn more theory!

Joe

16. sokmonke

sokmonke

Jul 27, 2006
    Its new strings, That is what i believe our lookinf for.