1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you get those muted notes without using the Rocco muting style?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by squeally dan, Jan 20, 2013.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    I'm a a new bass player by way of guitar. My band plays some funk stuff and I'm trying to woodshed in order to keep up. Love Tower of Power. Recently watched Rocco's video, but his muting method of fretting with one finger while muting with the one below it feels weird to me. How do you guys manage this? I gotta get my funk on in a hurry.

2. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    It wierd to you because you are new to it..everything will be wierd till you get it under your fingers.
    The syle is natural and will produce the results you want...and more.
    But you're going to have to work and develop it, if you are listening to any current TOP or watched any recent videos, then Rocca has 40+ years on you, you are not going to play like him any time soon, so practice and develop it and maybe you will...but there are no real short cuts when you develop ideas.:D

Check out the link, its a cool finger funk lesson

http://youtu.be/pbBuGwux1WA

3. squeally dan

squeally dan

Mar 30, 2008
    Not wanting any shortcuts. I'm practicing a bunch. I was just wondering if others have different techniques they use to get those muted notes (not ghost notes, but the muted notes where you still get a tone).

4. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Some employ a technique similar to palm muting on guitar. Palm of plucking hand against the strings, pluck with thumb.

However I don't know if it could be a substitute for the prestia style muting when doing fast stuff including string skips.

5. Shanannigan

Shanannigan

Feb 25, 2011
    Ontario
    The left hand muting is really the only way you'll get that exact sound. There's palm muting, which is similar, but it sounds a bit different. Both are great to use. It's awkward at first, but the more you do it, the more natural it will feel.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021