How do you get Timmy C's tone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bass2020, Feb 4, 2002.

1. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    How do you get that really growly dis.?
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    If its from the first album, then that was a Stingray.

I'm not sure whether you are asking about growl or real distortion.
  3. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ampeg SVT - Fender Jazz - Boss Bass Distortion. I believe he also boosts his mids and he plays over the bridge pup.
  4. Yep, play near the bridge and beat the crap out of the strings. I second everything that has already been said.

5. once again, another thread that doesn't belong here. I urge you all to read the thread i created expressing the terms of this forum.
  6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    nope not boss distortion. he plays through a marshall guvnor distortion pedal, i;m not sure if its the plus or not. have u ever plugged your bass through a marshall stack?? well thats kinda the sound youd get. The marshall distortion pedal are designed to sound just like their amp distorion. The old recordings he does use a stingray, and the newer ones is a jazz bass. he plays through ampeg stacks which has been already said. And if u want that extra boost for your tone get almost all solid black arm tatoos, then u have his tone.
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    The tone from Evil Empire can be had relatively well with a Jazz Bass through a SansAmp Bass Driver DI.

First album is a Stingray, not as sure about the amp sound though.

Cookie, can't tell if you're talking about this forum or one this thread was moved from. If this isn't the right one, move it! :)
  8. Yeah I heard he has a Boss Overdrive. But I can't get my boss to sound anything like Timmy's. I'd really like to reproduce the "Bulls on Parade" tone.
  9. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Umm...maybe if you ask him nicely, he'll lend it to you. :D