1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you get your own graphics on home made pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dannybuoy, Mar 10, 2008.

1. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I'm considering doing a couple of BYOC projects, maybe the Mighty Mouse, Large Beaver, and the chorus or trem.

I'd like to be able to design my own pedal graphics and paint them to a high standard - does anyone have any tips?

When I was at school we had a mini vinyl cutter that looked like a tiny printer. We used for masking up PCBs before etching them, but it could also be used for making small stickers. Anyone have such a thing or know where to get them?

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I'd say Vinyl cut by a sign company, or Waterslide decals that can be ran through Laser or Ink Jet printers, then Clear sealer over top much like on a bass headstock.

3. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    Waterslide decals. They're easy, the only limit to detail is the DPI of your printer, and if you have an inkjet that takes decal ink (can't be water-soluble for obvious reasons) it's relatively cheap. If you're only doing one or two though, you might be better off cutting some stencils and painting the graphics in layers. For instance, if you're doing Mickey Mouse, find a graphic of him that you like and print out four or five copies. Cut out the entire graphic from the piece of paper and use that for black, then cut out the other colors (yellow, white, red) seperately from each of the other stencil images and paint them one at a time over the black once the black's dried.

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Thanks, looks like waterslide decal inkjet paper is what I want, managed to find quite a few shops selling it over here in the UK. I've never heard of that stuff before.

With regards to paint, I'm thinking Hammerite. It's hard wearing and doesn't need any primer. I'm looking for a metallic paint effect like those on the BJFE pedals.

Finally, clear sealer - I had a quick look and could find various spray on and brush on types, but can anyone recommend a type or brand?

I'm thinking of putting Mighty Mouse on a BYOC Mighty Mouse - "Here I come to save the day!"

5. astralis

astralis

Dec 31, 2006
    Fort Myers, FL
    Pfft, decals. Nothing screams diy more than unfinished metal grey with sharpies labeling the effect and controls. I even use different colored sharpies sometimes!!!