1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you get your will to play back?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by shawshank72, Dec 6, 2011.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Ive been bandless for about half the year now, people are constantly knocking on the door wanting me to play with them. I earned a reputation of being a solid reliable player with no drama and i guess thats gold in these parts.
    Problem is..... Is when im not playing i want to start playing again, but then when i start playing with someone i dont want to keep playing anymore. Im so confused as i love music but yet have grown tired of it as well.
    Ive gone through alot this year with losing my job and getting divorced and health problems, i know this has an effect on things but has anyone gone through this as well? What did you do to get the desire back and keep it burning?

2. I think its mostly about finding the RIGHT people to play with. I have the same problem. Except no one's knocking. Subscribed.

3. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Nike slogan-- Just Do It

You've had a rough stretch, maybe a little gigging will help pass time.

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Maybe you need to take a break. I am. I just quit my main bands this week, and I'm guessing after NYE I won't be playing wi the other part time/pick up band. you've goner through a lot. Maybe I need a little down time. Maybe you should try to find something completely different to do for a while. I may try that.

Good luck.

5. The will/desire to play leaves me every so often. To the point where I don't even want to open my case. I usually go a week to 2-3 weeks and won't play at all. Last time it happened, I was in 2 gigging bands, my music career was running on all cylinders, then, POOF, they both came to a crashing halt. I tried out for a few other bands, my enthusiasm was so-so. It seems every band I tried out for wasn't playing stuff I really wanted to do.
    I stayed on with a band that sort of played stuff to my liking. I was explaining this to a musician friend and he suggested, "If you want something done right, do it yourself"
    And so I did, while working with the current so-so band I slowly assembled the best players I met at the other bands I was in. Took 6 months but now I have a 9 piece R&B band going full bore with horns, vocalists. I practice now more than I ever have and am excited about next rehearsal. I'll ride this train until POOF happens again.

6. It sounds like you love the idea of being a musician more than actually being a musician right now...and that's OK!

You've been through a lot this year and it's very likely that you just have some healing to do before you're ready to deal with other people on that level. Music isn't going anywhere. It'll be here when you come back ready to participate. Don't sweat it, bro...we'll keep the amps warm for you.

Go take care of YOU for awhile. Take up a solo instrument like guitar or piano and just enjoy it by yourself for a time, if that sounds good to you.

Don't sweat this petty stuff. Music will be here when you get back.

:)

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I know you were talking to the OP but this may be good advice for me as well. I feel good about my recent choice to quit playing bass on a regular basis, but I love music, as do my kids, so maybe guitar would be a good option. Learn some kids tunes and have some family singing time.

Subscribed....

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think about how having a regular job sucks even worse than playing music ;)

9. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Maybe you need a break. I know I did personally and when I got back it was the best thing that ever happened to my playing. I took a pretty extended break, which was unintentional, I didn't know how long it would be, I just knew I would get back when I felt ready. Once I did it was all fresh and new and fun again, like when I started, only now I had all my knowledge, skill and experience under my belt. Didn't take any time at all to polish up my skills. In fact they seemed stronger than ever. Like riding a bike. Best thing I ever did. Of course every person and situation are different, but it's something to consider. ymmv, etc., and so forth.

10. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks to all of you for the advice, especially totallyfrozen. I think that may be the best idea for me, thanks.

11. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    Put all your favourite albums on your pc the make up a cd to play with that only includes songs you really love in bass playing. Make your own private world and once you get your groove back, only settle on working with players that meet you expectation. You need to "feel" the music you play or you will never play it well.

12. Buxtehude

Buxtehude

Jan 5, 2011
    Sydney
    Bass is a solo instrument. Don't denigrate our craft.

13. i dunno, i've been in a funk lately but today i got a squier VM jazz with the chrome pickup covers and strung with flats with a stand, strap, and gig bag for less than retail cost of a brand new one. suddenly i don't know where the last 3 hours went, but my fingers hurt. hooray for craigslist!

:bassist:

14. Not to be an armchair psychiatrist, but is there any chance that you're clinically depressed? Depression certainly can trigger a malaise. You may want to consult a professional.

15. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

You are bored with it because it is not enough to keep you interested.

This is what happens when you are good at what you do, but are not using all your aptitudes or abilities. When you use only SOME of them (like most people) you get tired/bored with what you're doing after the newness wears off.

I was a psychologist a long while ago and did a lot of work studying aptitudes. These are your inborn abilities, and we have no innate way to know what they ALL are. So, we do what we find we are good at, but we may not be aware that we have OTHER abilities that we are not using. This causes dissatisfaction and unrest.

For example, I found out that I have very strong music aptitudes, which is why I enjoy music and playing, but my strongest aptitudes have to do with building things. So, I became an audio engineer, designing and building audio THINGS. This combines my 2 strongest aptitudes, and as soon as I started doing this, I became much happier and never looked back and for the last 40 years can't wait to get to work each day.

Aptitudes have nothing to do with your interests. They are unrelated and you can only be interested in something you have experienced. There are countless things you may never encounter on your own.

How do you find out what your aptitudes are? There is a non-profit research institute that has been doing this for nearly 100 years - Johnson O'Connor Research Foundation. They are worldwide. You make an appointment, spend a couple of days solving puzzles and listening to tones, and other tasks, and they give you your profile and explain what kind of work to do to be fulfilled and what hobbies to do to use the rest of your abilities.

I have sent more than 100 people over the years and every single person has thanked me for it.

JUST DO IT! It will be the best thing you ever do for yourself - guarnteed)

Aptitude Testing at the Johnson O'Connor Research Foundation (I am not affiliated in any way - just an extreme fan)

16. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I agree. Sounds like depression to me.
    My recommendation is to find a depression self-test online, fill it out, then take it to your family doctor.
    Don't self-medicate, and don't listen to anybody else as to what to do until you talk to your doctor.

17. bassramos

bassramos

Feb 13, 2006
    Chicago North
    Find a challenge and challenge it! Go get your butt whooped musically

18. Bassplayer222

Bassplayer222

Jul 21, 2011
    Sounds to me like you need a new instrument. Slow spots like yours are why I went to bass from drums

19. How about taking some bass lessons? Learn some new styles or techniques? And, talk to your family doctor!

20. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Are you tired of playing your instrument or performing? Do you still pull your bass out at home? No big deal if you want to take a break from performing (assuming you dont make your living doing that). Just don't gig for a while. Use the time to woodshed. Pick your favorite bassist/group and learn the basslines from their greatest hits (or best album) note for note. Its a challenge, but you will have fun listening to and playing along with your favorite music and you never have to leave your house. In the end, I guarantee you will be a better bassist when (or if) you decide to start gigging again.

If you don't even feel like playing at home, that's cool too. Pursue other interests. Most people go through life (and marriages) saying "If I only had the time or freedom to do .... I would jump at it". Sounds like you've got some freedom....what's your passion? It doesn't have to be bass. The internet has brought the world to your doorstep. Surf awhile. See what inspires you.

In the end, if its Bass that moves you, you always have all of us here at TB to hang with. ;)

Good luck friend. Hope you find your muse.