1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you go about making music?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Oreomeister365, May 4, 2006.

1. Wel issue is, my guitarist is rather tied up, and the best we can do right now is have me make some material and bring it to practice for us to wrks with. The problem is, at least for the type of music we want, the guitar and bass are just as important as each other, and I don't know anything special about the guitar beyond the basic chordes, and extending them up five strign etc etc. I'm really boring with guitr because I've hardly been playing them. And that is the guitarists job to liven things up, but here I am, I bring in meterial on powertabs or whatever and imho it sounds boring as crap because the guitar line is some boring ass chord progression.

We don't exactly want to take a thousand years to make a song, but we (or I at least) want to have some intricacies between guitar and bass. But I need to bring in all the material (for now). I play bass, I can make the bass exciting, but when it comes to the song as a whole I need the guitar to be exciting, but I don't know how to do that on regular guitar. I'd like to jam something but we hardly have time to practice as is it seems.

Better yet I'd just find a guitarist that suits my needs, that is just as picky about good music as I am, with the proper style. In that case, how would I go about finding a guitarist in my high school, most are taken, and the ones that aren't suck. Would leaving a LFG (looking for guitarist) message in the local music shops help? I mean my only beef is that, do the high school aged ones even look at those?

2. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    you could look for another guitarist, or you could write some simple stuff on the guitar to use as a framework for something more elaborate. (this is done more than you think). or you could really learn to play guitar. (my suggestion). it may take a while but it would be worth it. i am a bassist but i also play guitar and do so on all of my studio stuff. i'm not a steve vai, but i'm no hack on guitar. i'm not being boastful, but i was very calculating in my desire to become a proficient studio guitarist. i also did not want to sound like a bassist trying to play guitar. i was simply tired of working with players who were ok in live situations, but could not cut it in the studio. i have written many songs on bass, but when i started writing on guitar i instantly became a better bass player. i was now writing bass parts for guitar parts i had written. i was more concerned with making the guitar part shine than drawing attention to the bass. and that is our job as bass players. this was many years ago. i produce all my own stuff and when i go in to track, i know i'm playing bass, but i also know that i can play all the guitar parts if i have to when working with someone else. there are more than a few guitarist/ bassist/producers that can do this. i strongly recommend that you learn guitar. imho of course. peace, jeff

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I feel your frustration, and you can give it time. Regardless of how much this guy sucks, you can still learn something.

Do you have a drummer?

4. yeah, got a drummer, he conforms really well to just about anything we throw at him, and he throws out useful stuff as far as how we sound when he can.

5. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    i find some of the sweetest thing my band comes up with is, when i play just one cool little riff...from 1-8 bars...not very much....just repeat it over and over a gain, and the guitarist jams with it (so does the drummer) and then bam..song. it just happens from there. also, i found my guitar with a looking for guitarist poster in my local guitar store..and i got lucky, he is a gem hidden in the ruff..so amazing, i was glad to find the kid.