Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you go about writeing songs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thegiantgnome, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Thegiantgnome

Thegiantgnome

May 31, 2005
    This is more of a personal question rather than a "how to write a song" thread and I didn't really know where to put it so I just put it here, sorry to the moderatetor that has to move this. I realize there are many different ways that people write songs but I've noticed I commonly follow the same path. So I was interested to see how others write songs. Do you just hear a bassline in your head and then work from there or do you hear chrods and then put a bass line to the progression. Do you write lyrics then music or do you even write lyrics at all. Hopefully some of you will have really strange ways, then this might get somewhat interesting.

2. I think lyrics are a good starting point, at least where they are involved, but I might start out with a groove, or a progression, or something that no words can describe... . . .the last one happens less often.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    First, I get a college-ruled yellow legal pad. Then I get a Pentel 0.5 mm mechanical pencil. Then I sit down, roll up my sleeves, and go to work.

Not really. I don't write songs.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hum a melody or play a few chords. Add some words to it. Soon you have a song.

5. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I delegate responsibility to the guitar & keyboard player.

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Someone writes a riff, someone else comes up with a guitarlick, the drummer adds a groove, etc .

7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I hear beats in my head. Sometimes I write bass lines to them.

Alot of times I just grab my bass and start playing randomly and I'll stumble onto something. I'll find a couple notes that sound great together and just mess around with them until I have something that works.

Or, I get together with my guitar payer and we throw ideas at each other...that seems to work pretty well too.

Then I record it. Always record...always record. :D

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Put some stank on it.

9. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    hahahah...I was hoping someone would catch the Tenacious D refrence.

"tell me we're taping...gotta get this on tape" :p

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    "Rocket Sauce Take 1"

"Dude that's the ice cream song"

11. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    LOL

"your drumming is kick-ass, we're just not comfortable being a power trio"

Hmm....a thread about the D might be in order. I could post tenacious D quotes all day, but I don't want to totally ruin this thread.

Go buy the Tenacious D complete masterworks DVD for "inspirado" aka writing tips. :)