Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you go about writing songs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Judge2003, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Judge2003

Judge2003

Mar 26, 2005
    Not really sure if this should be posted on another board...

But I was curious, how do you other bassists go about writing your tunes? With or without a band it doesn't matter...

If you are in a band, do you: All work together on it... all write seperate parts... or do you have a 'song writer'

If you are that song writer, what do you generally have in mind first when writing?

Through my experience, I first tried just writing a bassline, then putting chords over it and making a drum beat, but then It gets difficult to write a melody...

Just recently, I've been getting melody's and riffs in my head, and I try to replicate those using bass and guitar...

I am in a band, our guitarist (who is pretty damn bad) thinks that one person should write all the parts, and send it out so everyone can work on their own individual parts.

I think we should all work together on it with just a basic outline of what we want to hear

So, I have not been all that successful with these methods (let alone tried that last one out), so I was wondering, what sparks the magic?

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Over four years, I figured out I was bad at it. So I stopped.

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Almost anything can spark it off. Sometimes it's a bass line, or a guitar part, or I'll build something off a keyboard pad I like, or a bit of lyrics will inspire a melody, or whatever. Whenever something hits me, I try to record that idea as soon as possible. I have like three million little bits of songs waiting to find homes! Some of them turn out to be crap after I go back and listen to them after a couple days though...

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    The most important part is not for force anything. I've learned from years of experience that you can't force a song that doesn't want to be created and you can't force a band to get behind a song that the band isn't enthused about at that particular time. I play several different instruments other than bass....this helps not only in the writing process (as far as coming up with the original inspiration), but it also helps to invision what the other parts in the song might be. This doesn't mean that I necessarily sit down and chart out what everyone else will play...it just gives me an indication of how things might work out. Personally, I used to write a lot on bass, but am finding that I've been writing a lot on acoustic guitar lately. I can't remember who said it (famous musician in a interview), but I remember watching a clip of someone on a tour bus say that if you can write it/play it on acoustic, then it will probably be a good song regardless of how the final instrumentation comes out.

It also helps to surround yourself with other talented people. The fact that I play in a band with an incredible drummer and two phenominal guitar players who also contribute ideas really takes the pressure off of me. I'm left to devise my own bass lines to every song we create (which usually just happens over time as a result of jamming and playing the songs over an over again...working things out and experimenting with new things in rehearsals), and I'm also only 1/3 of the songwriting equation. Sometimes someone will come in with a song that is virtually completed, and sometimes a song just develops from a feel, a riff, a chord pattern, or whatever. Again...the key is to not FORCE anything. More often than not, the process should just happen naturally. At least that's how it has worked for me. ;)

5. pretty much the same here. any time i hear anything in a song i find creepy/beautiful/awesome in general, i try to think of something cool myself. nothing inspires me more than wanting to create something better than what i just heard a band i like doing :p