How do you guys deal with...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by no4mk1, Aug 7, 2003.

1. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Drunks crashing the stage?

I tend to laugh it off until they touch equipment, then they get a size 13 foot in the ass.

Any suggestions? Oh, and yes, we have already thought about playing better bars, but until that happens...

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Club management or security should handle this problem.

After all, the customers are theirs. They need to take responsibility for the people they let in the door and allow to get loaded.

If something should happen to your gear due to someone being too baked, I would hold the club liable. That gets their attention, IME.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Really nice G&L ya got there.

... is that notduane!? :D
  4. Arrrrrgh

May 8, 2002
    The thing we always do at those kind of bars, is to buy your friends drinks to get them to dance in front of the stage.

There is this one 'rough' place that we play, and we always used to have that problem (my old monitor has an ass print from one encounter) Now we 'run a tab' for a few friends, and we pay when we leave.

Since the bar knows why we are running the tab, they give us a HUGE break on the price. The last time, our friends actually paid us back, because they got such a great deal.

One other advantage, is that the 'friends' we pay to dance, happen to be VERY good looking, or they have a VERY good looking spouse.

This usually ends up costing the band about $20 when we play, which is NOTHING compared to the hassle of falling drunks, and they really enjoy being 'a part' of the show

Hope this helps... Richard
  5. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I ain't seein' it [​IMG] :confused:

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sounds good to me. What could be better?
  7. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks! I bought it around Christmas, and it has been a very sweet player for me.

It has a lot of heft too... Just what one would need to clock some richly deserving individual!

8. ClarkW

Aug 1, 2003
    Provo, UT. USA
    Arrrrrgh said: Pay your friends.

When I saw the title I thought "Hmm, yeah, I know a couple of beefy guys who wouldn't mind making 10 bucks for the evening to look imposing and play bouncer for the band."

I guess your suggestion is a little less confrontational. :)
  9. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That photo is just priceless!

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    GREAT pic lol. Use that kind of stuff to your advantage, remember you have a PA and he doesn't.

"Awwwww Dad, I hate it when you get drunk"
  11. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    That photo is just priceless!
    I can't stop laughing!

I had a guy one night that kept trying to sing in my mic while I was trying to sing. I warned him a few times, then it got to be too much so I shoved him while I hammered on notes with my left hand. The guy went flying across the floor on his face. So did his beer! After the set he told me he was sorry and that he had a little too much beer. I told him it was cool just don't do it again. I only have a size 9 boot!
  12. A size 15 boot in the gluteal region!
  13. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ahh,, we had a similar experience at "Toppers Tavern" in Eagle Rock (by Pasadena). WOW,, the opening band had a mosh pit consisting of two drunk 40+ dudes trying to gain the favor of a somewhat younger (but arguably unnattractive) female (who was also drunk I might add). Well,, dancing soon escalated into flying fists and they were sprawled across a table going at it. After they were forcibly removed,, our band took the stage. MAN OH MAN,, we were ON that night!! hehe, not that anybody there really could tell,, altho people were yelling "John F____n' Bonham!" every time our drummer displayed his chops.

Best part may have been afterwards while we were loading up, had a "stimulating" conversation with a guy about how Hyundais are much better automobiles than any other asian cars,, because they're "hungry" for the work.

Drummer was also hit on by a furiously drunk (but extremely attractive) young women in the back alley....

All in all,, it was fun - but kinda sad too.
  14. I swear there is a guy who looks exactly like him (even the clothes) in every bar we've ever played in.
  15. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I know! He get's around doesn't he? ;)
  16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

He lives in Hazel Park, Michigan.