1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you guys feel about buying online?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zmoney682, Mar 17, 2010.

1. zmoney682

zmoney682

Jan 20, 2010
    I know this thread has probably been brought up before, but I couldn't find it. I'm an experienced bassist, but new to buying because I'm used to having my dad just go out and get me a bass when I recommended one for my birthday (yes I'm under 18, but I know my bass tech).

So in short, do you guys think this is a quality bass that can handle touring? Do you recommend I buy it online? From what the description says, its ideal for my style, i'm just afraid that I'll get it in the mail and it'll be ****** quality and I'll have to mod the hell out of it.

http://www.samash.com/p/Deluxe Active P Bass Special 4 String Bass Guitar Assorted Colors_442117

thanks in advance, dudes.

2. zmoney682

zmoney682

Jan 20, 2010
    help please, sirs :D

3. Online is fine. If not Sam Ash, Music 123, GC online, Musicians Friend..etc. Its like trying a bass at home, if you don't like send it back and in most cases they will pay returning shipping. Don't forget to inspect and setup properly you'll be okay.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes it is a quality bass that can handle touring.

Buying online can be a crapshoot, I assume no local dealers stock? If the online dealer has a 30-day return policy you's only be out return shipping if the one you get is not to your liking. But being able to try before you buy is always better.

5. zmoney682

zmoney682

Jan 20, 2010
    thanks guys :D

6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    that bass kicks ass, although i ended up getting the Reggie Hamilton. it's light and the "jazz" neck is super fast. great EQ section for versatility. i was about to buy it when i saw the RH and freaked out. you'll go far on that Deluxe, tho. gl.

7. bamba22

bamba22 Commercial User

Dec 24, 2009
    owner of beginner-bass-guitar.com
    Dude, online is really safe.
    But only from known sites that have security on them

8. zmoney682

zmoney682

Jan 20, 2010
    I assume I can trust fender/sam ash, no?

anyone know what sam ash's return policy is for online purchases?

9. The big retailers usually have an excellent return policy, so if you don't dig it you can send it back. No tax. Often free shipping. Go for it.

10. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I've played that model at a couple of GC's in my area but NOT at my local Sam Ash.
    I wasnt overly blown away but it was definitely serviceable. One had the typical poor GC setup(?) to the point where it was pretty much unplayable.
    The one in the other store was much better and they had most of their basses in an enclosed room so I got a better feel for the tone. I noodled away for a few minutes through a MarkBass rig with everything set pretty much flat IIRC.
    IMHO, the bottom end was good but the onboard pre didnt do a whole lot for the highs. (of course, the battery might have been going bad)

It felt solid and I dont recall anything about the neck that I didnt like-but I tend to be not very picky about neck dimensions.
    As far as road-worthy or needing mods? Sorry, but I cant help you there. I've never been on tour and until you hear it yourself, you wont really know if it fits in with what your band is playing.
    Does Sam Ash online offer a free trial period? Or do you live near a GC? This model is not a Sam Ash exclusive so I'd definitely suggest trying to play one first.

Good luck, mate!

11. Order from musicians friend, no BS, 45 day return policy , you dont like it send it back they pay every thing your only out the time to pack it up and drop it by UPS, i have done it 2 times.

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

No sweat - go for it! That Fender will hold up through a nuclear strike, and SamAsh is good with returns and service.

13. zmoney682

zmoney682

Jan 20, 2010
    yeah thanks for the offer bro but not really digging the red/gold :p

14. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    ordering online is great if you know what the bass is like.

15. No sweat, it wasn't my bass. I would however consider buying used if you can find one you like.

16. Gunner77

Gunner77

Nov 30, 2009
    Columbia, MO
    A friend of mine who is a Fender dealer has a new full warranty black and gold one and he says he will ship it for $579. It has a gig bag and a setup done on it. PM me if you want me to give you his web address.

Gunner

17. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

online stores do not set up gear.

I'd find a local place...

OR used online from a reputable seller is almost a better option.

18. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    It's pretty painless to return stuff to MF. I had a blown horn on a Bassman, you print out a UPS return label and drop it off, They Next Day Aired a replacement as soon as UPS scanned the label on the return.

That said, an instrument is a bit different. If you sit down with 5 new StingRays (impeccable QG) one is going to speak to you over the others and you can't get that online.

If you have to, sure, it's safe and you certainly would save a chunk on taxes, but you may miss something.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020