1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how do you guys get endorsed by companies?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MODNY, Mar 4, 2008.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    well, let me in on some info?

do u play in bands or what?

2. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I have more of a background in ski racing endorsement, but I would think it's the same thing:
    a) Be good and pro
    b) Be a good sales person
    c) Be marketable
    d) Have good ties with the company (knowing someone who matters on the inside)

This means playing in a band, doing studio work, subbing, etc. I'd wager that most of the people here, myself included, will not get endorsed any time soon because we fit neither in a, c or d. A and d are especially important in ski racing.

3. I think it's rather YOU endorse the company...

4. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    um..

btt

5. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Non fosters drinking alcoholic.
    I think EBS (might be eden) have a form on their website to apply which should give you a fairly good idea about what they're looking for. Be signed to a label, have a discography, solid touring history and more touring coming up.

They're only gonna give you stuff if there's something in it for them and for that people have to see you playing their product and be exposed to you enought to care about what you're playing.

PS i don't think Hurlatron quite got the question.

6. Earthquake

Earthquake

Dec 19, 2007
    SoCal
    Perfect. That is right on. Also, I think Hurlatron did get it.

7. canshaker

canshaker

Dec 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown/ESP/Dunlop/Line 6/Normandy.
    +1

8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    k perfect. so basically you just e mail companies

what do endorsements usually earn you?

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    usually artist pricing which varies place to place. The companies I've dealt with basically sells to artists at dealers cost and usually direct to the artist instead of through the distribution channels.

10. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    yea like i see alot of people on the forums lately, and i'll check out their myspace pages, i'm like umm you are endorsed? i shouldda been endorsed years ago then hah

11. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis

Pretty much what I look for ... Get the product into the hands of

1: Higher profile artist that will use the product.
    2: Artist I feel match with the product
    3: People that give me feedback on the product

:) ... So far we have done real well on all points

12. gjsven

gjsven

Oct 6, 2007
    Canberra, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Cutting Edge Guitars
    Endorsements and sponsorship deals come in all shapes and sizes and are about artists and gear companies/sellers helping each other out. Strictly speaking, artists endorse gear - gear companies sponsor artists.

The typical, big company endorsements (Fender, Marshall, etc) require you to be not only good but playing their instruments in front of LOTS of people - like millions. If your name is Mark Hoppus I would imagine you'd get all the Fenders you want and be paid for your time on photo shoots and promotional activities for Fender.

On a smaller scale, often shops or local distributors will find an artist or band which is doing well in the local scene and give them cost-price gear from the brands they sell in order to encourage people to buy that gear (preferably from them). The artist still pays the shop's costs for the gear, and the shop will aim to only 'sponsor' artists who are likely to encourage gear sales from their shop. Shop staff are often offered a similar deal by distributors, as having shop staff who play your brand is a good way to influence sales.

There are a variety of other arrangements at the grass roots, many of which are very informal. For example, Cutting Edge Guitars is a one-man, part time operation run by luthier Alan Cutting, a motor-tech teacher by day who churns out maybe 3 or 4 instruments per year (along with loads of services, repairs and mods) from his workshop in Wagga Wagga, NSW in his spare time. Everything is handmade and fully custom made, and his margin is virtually nothing so he simply cannot afford to sponsor an artist with an instrument to promote his brand.

Instead, he offers fantastic, individual after-sales service to his customers and gives a lot of his time and experience for free to make sure they get the best experience possible. In return, his instruments get seen, heard, written about and talked about glowingly amongst his most valuable customers - working guitarists and bassists interested in serious instruments! He has also had two of his guitars reviewed in Australian Guitar Magazine, both receiving high praise.

An example of the Cutting Edge service - I hadn't seen Alan for several months until he randomly knocked on my door this morning. He was in town (I live in Canberra, about 2-3 hours drive from Wagga) to see family and dropped in to see how my bass was going. As it turned out, my Cutting Edge was overdue for a good setup - so (after checking that I didn't need it for a week) he put it in his car along with another bass of mine (a modified mex P) which had a rattle in the electronics and told me he'd bring them both back next weekend playing like new!

Now that's service! No wonder I feel like a sponsored pro, and enthusiastically endorse Cutting Edge Guitars. Alan looks after me with an awesome bass and unmatched service, so I do my best to look after him. ;)