1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you guys get guitarists to audition? Free pizza?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Seriously, I get a few emails and calls and as soon as I send the song list, radio silence. No calls returned, no emails returned.

The songs are all from bands listed in our ad as what we want to cover so no surprise and it's really average, except for a couple, to see if anybody picks them up.

Here is the list and we only ask them pick 4:

Vertigo - U2
    The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
    Everything About You - Ugly Kid Joe
    Shimmer - Fuel
    Plush - STP
    Heavy - Collective Soul
    Hey Jealousy - Gin Blossoms

I actually wanted to add Metalingus but errr, we're not tight on this one :)

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Actually, free pizza might not be a bad idea.

It looks to me like you've picked some songs that require a little effort to learn; none of them are guitar-player "standards." Even the tunes without solos in 'em require a sit-down and practice session, because most rock guitarists aren't keen to learn Vertigo (no show-off parts) or figure which of Heavy's three guitar parts (requires them to sit down and actually listen to the song) they should play without someone pushing them.

I think that you've just found a very clever way to weed out guitarists that don't want to work ;) You should be proud. And still offer free pizza.

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Nick, if I had a better guitar amp, I'd come try out for your band as a guitarist.

STP is never fair to ask of a guitarist. The DeLeo brothers are classically trained jazz musicians, and it shows if you've ever looked at a chord chart for the guitar parts. However, I know "Plush" like the back of my hand. In fact, I already know about half of those on guitar, and I'm familiar with all of them.

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Heh, I was thinking the same thing. If I didn't live in Yuma...three hours is a bit of a commute for rehearsals. I played guitar in a band that did a few STP covers for a while. It's not as easy as it sounds by a long shot. The other tunes are simpler, but are still not songs that most guitarists are familiar with.

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    The problem is getting them to stop auditioning after they get the gig.

"Ok. You got the gig. How about you stop wanking and trying to impress everyone and just play a part that fits?"

6. I don't know, as a bassist I learned some very complex songs for auditions, sometimes none of them I already knew.

Well, I will keep on pushing. Eventually we will find someone. Yeah, free pizza will be good, we'll be there for a while, but greasy fingers and fretboards don't mix well.

7. You could offer them a free place to live with lots of beer, but then you'll probably have a hard time getting rid of them afterwards.

8. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I just felt the need to mention that this is probably my favorite thread title I've seen in quite awhile. Just gives me a great mental image of a montage:

- guitarless band sitting in a basement all bummed out
    <lightbulb!>
    - cut to bassplayer typing a CL title "guitar auditions... FREE PIZZA!"
    - cut back to band in basement with a line of dirty long haired guys with gig bags over their shoulders that runs up the stairs, out the door, and around the house

also, I agree about STP guitar parts being deceptively difficult. They always sound so incredibly simple, until you start looking at the charts and see how many bizarre fingerings and inverted chords that dude plays... it's probably the main reason you can always recognize an STP song so easily. I can't really say I'm a "fan" of theirs, but ya gotta give props where props are due, and they be due.

9. thudfromafar

thudfromafar Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Dude, it will take a while. If someone's out there and looking for something similar in a group, they will probably find it if you keep advertising what you want to do.

10. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    For all we razz gitards for being a-dime-a-dozen, when it comes time to find a good bandmate who can hold down the GP's chair, it's hard to find one who has time to spare.

11. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    free beer, pizza and a hooker... that'll get them running to your door.

12. I have a similar list and have 10 guys waiting to audition. We are a working band with gigs on the books so I think there is the differnce. I iwll tell you Fri after the auditions to see if any were actually worth the free pizza....

13. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Try finding a guitar player that owns a PA system! We've done it three times.......

14. Keep your list the same. When you get a response, ask the prospective guitar player what kind of music/songs he would like to play at the audition. Offer to learn one of the songs. Find some common ground with him. You don't have to play the song out... so Crazy Train, War Pigs, Shook Me All Night Long, and so on are fine. Just some common ground to get him in the room and play. It also shows that you are willing to listen and bring the guy in as an equal (if that is what you want... if you are looking for a sideman then this won't work).

I auditioned for a band that asked me "well, what do you want to play".

I am still in it.

G

15. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Bingo. Forget the free pizza.
    You don't want a guitarist who only shows up 'cos there's food.
    You want a guitarist who wants to play the music you want to play, and who is stable and responsible and a decent human being.

When you're a kid you're happy to dip your wick anywhere you can, and you usually get a few diseases to show for it. Hopefully as you grow up you get more selective and wind up having better, more attractive partners and more fun. Music is like that, too. :D

16. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Notes ...

recruit through teachers..

your list is not guitar friendly to the masses..

give them 20 songs to choose from.. then allow them to send your band 1 song to learn... we always just go on the fly when they show up

Please post your ad -- you really don't want hundreds of people.. just the right one.

17. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Personally, with that song list, I wouldnt audition. Aside from the STP song I wouldnt want to pick 3 others to learn.

18. Sorry to say, but I'd have to agree.

19. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Nick if its anything like my band, you're going to have trouble finding people anytime you move away from the standards.

20. Well, the ad states we don't want to play the standards. We want to play new but popular stuff.

I have said it over and over again: people are tired of hearing Brown Eyed Girl!!!! They want stuff from the 80s to today.

80's metal is the new oldies. Collective Soul, Weezer, Green Day is what makes the girls dance.

If a musician is too lazy to learn new tunes, he's gonna have to be happy playing in front of a crowd of blue hairs.