How do you guys MAKE your basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpeeDFX, Apr 18, 2002.

1. SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    I've seen some guys on these forums with Work In Progress pictures of their basses that they are actually making, are you guy really experienced with wood? do you do that for a living or what? heh.. I need some 411
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I can only speak for myself. I made my P bass by buying pre-made parts and assembling it. I guess you could only say that I "assembled" my P bass. I need to rewire it again and I have new black elephant ears to put on to replace the circa 1978 pieces of crap it's got now. That bass is always a WIP. :)

It'a a lot of fun but keep your expectations low. (and expect them to be exceeded) Warwick sells top quality parts, Stu-Mac and Mighty Mite and other sell budget parts.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I started making one about 12 years back. I ended up giving up. It was more work than I thought, and as much of a perfectionist as I am, there were just too many little issues that kept cropping up. That, in addition to the fact that it was getting really expensive made me quit.

Now I have about 3 feet of fretwire, gold Schaller tuners and matching roller bridge, and wood scraps that sit around collecting dust.:(

To all those who successfully complete this enormous undertaking, I salute you all:)
  4. go to your local library and look for the book:

"make your own electric guitar" by melvyn hiscock

"make your electric guitar & bass" by Dennis Waring and David Raymond

they both go through all the basics of building a solid-body electric guitar (or bass) they focus on guitars a little more than basses, but all the information is there. has a great list of links and books... all available to buy online. they also sell plans for guitars and basses. they also have a forum where you can ask questions and read about other people's experiences building guitars and basses.

you can also ask any questions you have in the luthier's corner on this forum.

there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum who can answer your questions.

so, i guess overall, you need some woodworking skills and equipment (the big stuff can be rented, i'm sure), a lot of patience, a lot of time to research, and a fair amount of money.

i'm planning a bass to build this summer. when you start looking at your'll see there are a LOT of options. i guess that's what makes it fun.

also, don't go into this expecting to save money by building it yourself. it won't happen. you won't get the same price on pickups when your buying one as a luthier will buying 100 (or more, i have no idea really) i think that applies to everything. it's not cheap. look around online, find what you can.
  5. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    barroso, that's one fine looking bass you've made. Beautiful... i like the headstock design.
  6. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    How many tuners do you have and would you be interested in selling them? I am looking for some gold tuners for a bass I am building.