Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you guys run the tweeters on your cabs for pizz?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by marc40a, Feb 23, 2003.

1. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    On? Off? Middle?

2. Seppie

Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    hmm turned on to about 10 percent...
    to get a rounder sound...

gruesze sebastian

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Off.

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Off or down depending on the cabinet, when using a mic, possibly down when using a pickup alone depending on the kind of room acoustics and type of music.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    It depends on what I'm doing with the EQ on the rest of my signal chain. For my straight ahead rig, I keep the tweeter right at 12 O'clock, but that's only because I've got most of the highs and mids rolled off on my preamp. For the original/doubling gig, I'll be using the new EAiamp800, which I hope to set flat, and an Ashly 31 band graphic EQ (I'm waiting on delivery of this last even as we speak). I'm hoping to be able to keep the preamp and tweeter settings totally flat with this setup, and simply "notch out" the frequencies which get on my nerves.

I used to turn the tweeters on my cabinets either way down or off, but over the past couple of years I've discovered that frequencies which are annoying when you are sitting right on top of them are often some of the same ones which help the bass project. I'm sure I'll be learning more about this until the day I die.

6. OFF!

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I used to run it up about 1/3-1/2 way on my Bergantino HT-112 but the last few months have just turned it OFF and like it a lot more that way.

Just the latest step in an 8-year quest to fine tune my amplified tone :rolleyes:

8. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Hey Brian,

What's your take on the Epifani 1X12 vs. Berg? I remember reading your review on the Epifani after trying out Jack Read's. I had the same reaction after visiting his shop as well.

I'm more concerned w/ sonic comparisons, I realize a lot of people are digging the Berg's portability.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

If I may chime in, even though Brian I am not: I A/B'd the two cabinets, and it wasn't even close for DB....I bought the Bergantino. The Epifani is far more colored with a honky-sounding bump in the low mids. Nice for Plank, not so nice for Realbass. That said, the EA VL208 is much cleaner than the Bergantino, which has become my designated home studio/rehearsal cabinet.

Back to you, Brian....

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm sorta with Chris, the Epi has a fatter and deeper sound. Hard to say which one is closer to flat but the Bergantino has a tighter low end and speaks very clearly in the mids which brings out the attack of the note more clearly without being harsh or nasal...just a bit more defined, cuts through the mix. The Bergantino is also smaller and lighter.

Truth be told, I bought my Epifanis before the Berg cabs even existed; at the time it was the right cab to buy. Too bad my bass teacher at the time signed on as a Bergantino clinician and loaned me an HT112 to use on the gig for a few weeks
    :rolleyes:

Funny trivia: they make the Berg cabs right around the corner from a bar where I host a jam session every week.

11. I thinks it is mad to buy the best quality cabs with tweeters then turn them off for playing pizz. Everyone spends loads on powerful, flat amps and true cabs then cut a load of stuff out.

I think it may be time for someone design a combo especially for DB that has the right driver, the right EQ, a mic channel, a peizo/line input, HPF to cut real sub bass and a limiter to protect the driver. Have features like a thread for mounting on a stand, sensible handles, sensible weight, ability to run another cab, wedge shape for use as stage monitor etc.

A lot of PA systems have speaker protection fuses but I haven't seen this on bass combos. Peavey amps are really good but noone uses them for DB. They are bullet proof! Speaker/amp protection, good drivers etc.

Why buy an amp for loads of money then have to buy a preamp for pickups and mics? Build it into the amp. With EQ and a blend/mix control

Are we buying gear for the name, the image or because it really does what we need it to do?

Sorry, I am not usually this critical
    :eek:

12. No really. I am sorry

Run your tweeters how you want. Who am I to say otherwise.

Bad day
    :oops: