How do you guys set 2-screw pickup angles?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Magneto, Apr 6, 2005.

1. I'm referring to something like the EMG 35HZs, etc.. one screw per side, kinda hard to set the angle without sticking something under one side of them.
    My neck pup tracks at a odd angle. I wish I had a better way of adjusting it to follow the string angle. It doesn't take much offset to start changing tone.

Just curious about how any of you overcome this problem..

2. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    You should pull the pickups out and get some of the foam they usually use and re-mount it so the pickup stays square in the body. It's really the best and only way.
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

yep, and actually you can use about anything that's firm but has some cushion to it (cardboard, whatever). Ideally something that will spring the pups up yet have enough elasicity to where you can pull the pup down 1/4 - 1/2" with the screws without a lot of effort. If you get something too firm it's a pain cause it's a trial and erroer process back and forth - adding/substracting. With the right stuff, you just pull them down and that's the end of. About the density of foam that's in an egg crate mattress (but the proper thickness) works well.

I'm not familiar with that pup in particular but performance wise, all that matters is where the magnets are - so if there's only one blade magnet (ie typical Bart - but that EMG may be the same), it's more of a looks issue.
  4. Hey, thanks for the replies. The EMG 35HZs are dual coil p'ups, so angle is a concern. My pickup faces were inline with the body of my bass, but the strings had a slight angle to them. I used a thin piece of foam to shim up the edge of that p'up to get the angle right. It does make a big difference to keep both of those coils at the same distance from the string.

I was wondering what everyone does in this situation. I use foam, and even thin cardboard to help keep my pickup height higher without the pickup getting sloppy and moving around when I put a thumb on it. I wish these p'ups had a more positive way of controlling the set height and angle. Even a 3 screw setup would be great.

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I've been bugging them for YEARS about this. One day it will change I am sure.
  6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    There are a million ways they could change it, too. But most likely, they'll just ignore all that, stating the success of their line so far. Yeah, the pickups haven't changed design in like 15 years or more, but people still buy them.
    If it's the size and shape they want to keep the same, they could do a 3 or 4 screw design in the same housing.

Warwick's design is the best so far, using a pretty massive spring inderneath. The pickups feel like they are immobile, but it's just that the spring is awesome and keeps them from moving much at all. I think every manufacturer could take a page from them... but they won't. $$$$
  7. Maybe if enough people were to bug them (EMG I'm referring to), they might change their mounting. I was looking at some of the Bartolini soapbars, and they have 3 screws. I would prefer 4, but 3 would do the trick.
    One of the best I've ever encountered were the 4-screw active soaps on a long-lost Alembic Spoiler I used to own. They had 2 screws on top, and 2 screws underneath, set diagonally. 2 held the pickup UP, and the other 2 pushed it down, making it rock solid and very adjustable. Of course all the pickup screws were machine screws, set in brass inserts. Nice touches on those Alembics..