Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you guys shave?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JMX, Mar 16, 2004.

1. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I've been using a Mach 3 for ages, but cost and other concerns make me look for alternatives. I'm considering a Merkur Futur and maybe want to try a straight razor sometime in the future.
    What are your habits and experiences?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I use a Mach 3 turbo, It's pretty nice, gets the job done at least.

*waits for brendan to arrive with stories of the weed whacker he uses to trim and the lawnmower he uses to shave with.*

3. Remington titanium.

It does the job.

4. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    I would like to switch to something other than the mach 3 due to cartrige expense but I just can't find a good alternative for a face full of scruff. Three blades is definately better than 2. Electric sucks. Strait razor - just don't have the guts. I can't see dragging that thing across my jugulars every bleary eyed morning and not eventually setting the record for worst shaving cut.

I think the foamy shaving cream is key though, I like that better than those gel kinds....

I'm reminded of that SNL skit where Will Ferrel is doing an ad for a 15 blade razor, the cartridge is like a foot long and he's got cuts everywhere, it's hilarious...

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    careful with the straight razor though, there is a reason safety razors were invented.

Dont have any experience with it but the Schick Quatro has four blades so it must be better...

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Badly. I have very sensitive skin on my neck, so shaving tends to hurt A LOT unless I do it in the shower after standing in hot water for ten minutes. I've been using a Mach 3 for a couple of years now-I tried using disposables to save money, but after using them once they were dull enough to hurt. I also go wth the grain unless there's some hair that won't come off that way.

7. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I've been checking out some forums and the consensus seems to be that shaving cream or soap gives better results than foam or gel.

8. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I use a Mach 3 Turbo. My skin's so sensitive that if I use a cheap disposable it looks like I had Freddy Krueger shave my head for me.

I've used a straight razor before. If you go to beauty supply stores they have straight razors that have a sort of metal guard that the blade just slides behind. You can still cut yourself if you really screw up, but it's just as safe, I daresay, as using a Mach 3.

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    2 blades, foam shaving cream (with aloe for sensative skin)

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    One leg at a time?

11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    You'd think so, huh? the Schick Quattro is a godawful razor. More cuts and it still doesn't shave as well as a mach 3. It generally rips out hairs more so than cutting them.

12. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    Screw shaving! It's all about the ZZ Top look!!! Who's with me?

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The TV-Shop sells some sort of Australian natural wax that supposedly grabs only the hair and not the skin, so it shouldn't hurt so much..

I prefer a Braun Freeglider, though:

[​IMG]

Handy with a beard, and can be rinsed clean under running water. It also can use the fancy shaving lotion capsules, but I haven't bought them in ages.

14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Ditto...

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    *waits for brendan to be 'with' you*

16. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    But that's just me. I also feel like shaving under my sideburns is easier witht the original sensor...it's kind of hard to tell where the top blade on the sensor is for the purpose of accuracy.

Maybe I'll contact Gilette and see if they will do a Mach handle with a Sensor blade, with a swamp ash body, cocobolo top and Aero pickups.

Will

17. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    well i started on an electric razor, the remmington microscreen 2. but that wasn't getting the job done, i felt more like an old carpet instead of silky smooth when i finished

i've been using the mach 3 for a while now and i like it. i feel smooth and clean. here's a little secret i got: since i'm of indian descent, we go to indian stores often to buy certain groceries and things you wouldn't normally find in a supermarket. well these stores usually have the gillette cartridges and i buy them there. 5-4 bucks cheaper than in other stores!

i can't help but remember this article in the onion. if i remember correctly it was a fake editorial from the "president of gillette" talking about how they were going to go to five blades. it was hilarious, i'd post it here but it uses a lot of foul language so you'll have to trust me that its funny. :p

-jimbo

18. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I use a Mach 3, but it's usually with dual blade catridges since the triple blades are so expensive. Also use the shaving cream snice I never seemed to have much luck with the gel. It always seemed like my skin was more sensitive after using gel.

While we're on the subject, what facial hair do you have? I have a long straight jazz/beatnik goatee going on.

19. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, check this out:

[​IMG]