Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do you guys think a mesa boogie bass 400 and a sunn 215s sound together?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by the bloat, Feb 4, 2006.

1. the bloat

the bloat

Feb 4, 2006
    so i recently bought a mesa boogie bass 400 but i don't have a cab yet. i've been told a sunn 215s may sound pretty sick. but what do you guys think? any other suggestions? i just spent a bit of cash on the head so i'd prefer something in the 200-300$ range that has some significant meat to it but sounds warm and clear( i can get a sunn 215s for 200$).

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    When I first got my 400+, I ran it with an EV 215 which sounded pretty good, but I upgraded to a Bergantino 610. Sunn 215s are good for a vintage sound, but they may not get as loud as some cabs if you are in need of volume. There is actually a SUnn 215 at a local GC for like $150...

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You may get "warm" from 15s, but not "clear." The Eden D-410XST or Bergantino HT322 would give you that for which you are looking.

4. Don't buy one (SUNN) without trying it first, but that amp should sound AT WORST very good through any cab that isn't broken. When I had my 400+ I was hung up on getting an 8 X10 or a Powerhouse 1000. I saw an ad for a local music store that listed a 1000, I went to check it out, and it turned out to be an old Mesa 2X15. I was disappointed but plugged into it anyway, and ended up buying it. The sound it had wasn't what I had been looking for - until I heard it! - but once I heard it it became the sound I wanted. The cabs mentioned in the post above are great no doubt, but probably beyond your budget.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    2x15s can sound very clear as long as they don't have totally crappy drivers. Black Widow & JBL 15s for example are some of the clearest sounding speakers i've ever heard. Plus, Sunn cabs tend to be very efficient, so you should be fine.

P.S. That's a killer deal.

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I think an old Mesa Diesel 2x15 would make all your dreams come true (I played through an old Roadready once and it made my dreams come true that particular night), but they usually run a little higher than that. Maybe around $400+ range.

7. I have the mesa 400+ and sunn 215B and it sounds very good deeper lows than with my mesa diesel 2x15 and clean clear highs. Does not sound like it has a tweeter or anything but it sure sounds deep and has that fat warm tube thing going.