Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you hold your Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Basroil, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    I hold mine like Robert Trujilo, very low but pretty upright.

2. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I used to sling it really high, now it's a little lower. Still high by most people's standards probably. A small bit higher than waist level. It's easier to play that way.

3. jekie

jekie

Aug 11, 2005
    baton rouge
    high enough to see my package.. hah

4. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i wear it so its in the same position when im either playing or sitting

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That's exactly what I did/do.

6. +1 on that one

7. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    While sitting it must float off of my body at least a centimeter (always with a strap), that way when I stand it feels the same.

When a chair permits, I also like to play with the bass between my legs with the strap (like a classical guitarist) which also makes it feel more like when I am standing.

Without a strap you are constantly fighting neck dive or neck movement which impedes progress. Just take your hands off your bass without a strap and you'll se what I mean.

8. Like this:

Attached Files:

9. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Low enough so you can see my package!

10. I have found that I really, really prefer playing while seated... minimizes all sorts of troubles.

11. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    +1

...so when I have to stand I play a. kind of weird and b. with it all the way up. I still hate playing while standing because when I sit, I can float all over the bass... standing seems to be done best when your playing fingerstyle all the time (and assuming that your fingers dont float around the strings).

12. I started playing rather low slung. I'd get one of those standard leather straps, and the skinny part would be on the last hole in the fat part. Slowly over the years it started rising, until I was playing like Martinie. Then, the last few months I've been playing out a lot (usually twice a week), and I tend to get a little mobile on stage. So my bass had dropped back down, it just feels more comfortable to move around with the bass slung lower... somewhere in between the two extremes I've gravitated towards in the past. I think the height I have it at now is the most comfortable I've had in about 12 years of playing. Took long enough. :p

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Above my waist

Rob

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moved to Miscellaneous, although it could almost be considered a Technique thread.

15. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    [​IMG]

I adopted his style to avoid the C.S. on my wrists.

16. I wear mine about as high as my hips. Any higher and I cant play very well because of the way my wrists are positioned, and any lower and it just gets hard to play....I also noticed something wierd about my setup just the other day. I can't play sitting down because the fret buzz is becomes unbearable, although it totally disappears when I stand up. I think it has to with the angles of my hands or something of the like.

17. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Thats how I do it. I hate holding it high and horizontal.

18. mofomage

mofomage

Jun 18, 2005
    MARS
    Right under my beer belly lol, and preffereably standing so i can get more power with my arm for pick playing. Kind of like right over my package.

19. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Same here, even to the point where I will redrill the strap pin positions to get it where I want. Because of a shoulder injury, I also like the bass a bit to the right, so my body centreline is closer to the neck.