1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you identify effects on a bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by behling, May 15, 2006.

1. behling

behling

Mar 12, 2006
    truth be told, i never tot bass guitars had effect padels for them, therefore it lead me to this section, however if i'm being honest sound can't be define and exampled thru words and words alone, i don't know how to identify bass with effects on them and is there anywhere i can't download clips in order to hear them and say "oh so its that". cos after reading the threads its still aim helping thx.

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, how do you identify effects on guitar? Works the same with bass.

If you search through the forums here, there's plenty of soundclips of bass effects. Also, what music do you like? There might be some that has effected bass and you never noticed.

-Dash

3. behling

behling

Mar 12, 2006
    i love the chilli peppers and franz ferdiland

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    OD/Distortion - "buzzzzz"
    Envelope filter/wah - "bwahhhh", "dwap", or "dyoop"
    Flanger/phaser - "whooooshhhh"
    Chrous - sounds like to basses playing the same line.
    Octave - sounds like 2 basses, one playing an octave lower and/or higher.
    Reverb - sounds like you're playing in a room. The more reverb, the bigger the room.
    Delay - echo, echo, echo, echo

5. massive sound sample sticky at the top of this forum?!

6. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    since ur a chili pepper fan, have u heard around the world? the start of that is bass with distortion, sir pycho sexy, the effect on the bass is a pretty distinct bass bein used with a pedal kinda sound...if u no what i mean

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    What language is that?

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 ***? "a pedal kinda sound"???

9. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    no... i don't no wot u mean....
    :bag:

:D

10. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    like its a sound u can relate to bass, like when u hear distortion on a guitar u can tell its a guitar, and the effect on sir pycho, or light up the night etc, is an effect u can relate to bein used by bass, like if u hear that sound, its most likely a bass using an effects pedal...i no what i mean lol

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I weep for the future. :(

12. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    f that.

i weep for the present.

13. +1,000,000,000,000,042

Oh look, yet another compressor thread...

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yeah, I know... what does it take? I suppose I should have started my "compressor reviews" thread with a super-simple comp FAQ, instead of going straight into the reviews. :(

As far as the text messaging language corruption... just think about how many currently accepted terms were once considered corrupt! E.g. dude, nope, hi, yeah, cool, gee, etc. Not that that eases the pain of reading illiterate teenagers' text-style posts...

15. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    we r not iliturut.

y u no undurstahnd?

:confused: :eek: :eyebrow: :hyper:

I find pager code, modern-day teenage text-talk, and the like to be as annoying as Barbara Streisand. My uncles and aunts from Mexico are easier to understand, IMO, and I'm terrible at Spanish.

I am glad to have been trained from birth to write coherent text messages. :smug:

I had to make up for my bad handwriting somehow. :D

16. Predictive text mode makes it just as fast to type full words as it is to type this shorthand crap. Lets look at one example shall we?

"C u soon" vs "See you soon"

My phone (in predictive text mode) requires two key presses for the "C" three for the "u" and five for the "soon". A total of 10 key presses.

Or, using full words, three key presses for the "See" three for the "you" and five for the "soon". A total of 11 key presses!

WOW, a saving of one entire key press! Now, what can I do with all the extra time I've just afforded myself... hmm... oh damn, I thought about it for a millisecond and used up all my extra time!

17. damn that last post really makes me look like a grumpy old geezer... :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Can you tell I'm not dealing with the fact that I turn 30 in a few months?

18. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Ha! Nifty, the general level of "grumpy geezer-ness" of your posts had me thinking you were a retiree in his 60's! Seriously, that was what I thought. FWIW, I'm 35.

19. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    I wouldn't worry about it. I'm 16 and txt talk makes me seethe with rage.

In reply to the OP: Listen to the first 20 seconds of 'Around the World'.

20. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Ah-ha! There's hope yet.

Now, get off my lawn!! ;)

OP - A suggestion: Go to your local music store, grab a bass, and plug into a bunch of different effects (or a multi-effects unit) and see what each one does. Once you get familiar with the different sounds for yourself, you'll be able to identify them on recordings more easily. Effects are fun, and can be useful tools, but nothing is a substitute for good skills.