Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you install stuff into a Gator Rack?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stinky_UK, Mar 31, 2005.

1. stinky_UK

stinky_UK

Feb 3, 2005
    I have a Gallien Krueger RB700II and i needd to install it into a Gator Shallow 3u rack case.
    There was no bag of bits with it (it was new). there are screws in the rack edge (6 for 3 units) but i was kind of expecting some nuts or something too. for the back of the rack ears of the GK(?)
    How do i install it?! will the amp go in in the case securly?
    I am at work so cant try yet just wondering :help:

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    most if not all racks take the bolts without nuts on the back (it would be darned near impossible to get yer hand in there)

some have washers which are used more to get a good grip on the rack ears rather than to "lock". anyhow, extra rack bolts are a dime a dozen

im not sure about gator, but skb has these little clips with faux nuts on them thatclip onto the rack rails and then you insert your rack gear and then thread the bolt thru all that and screw it in. in the skb racks the rails just have holes in them, not threaded holes.

3. There should be some white plastic washers behind those screws.. at least, there were on my Gator rack when I got it. But, you can use just about any screws and washers that will fit. I got some from the local hardware store, and also used a few that I had rooting around in my tool box. I racked a Furman power conditioner, Sansamp RBI and Stewart power amp with no problems.

4. Whoa.. do those racking rails have to be in there? 'Cause I removed them, after they fell out when I removed the screws. I don't seem to be having any problems so far..

5. I used a bit of tape to hold the metal bars on, since the sticky gum was pretty worthless.

6. stinky_UK

stinky_UK

Feb 3, 2005
    so the metal strip on the inside of the case stays where it is (if it doesnt fall off) and then you just screw into that and the amp rack ears after it. Is that it?!

7. stinky_UK

stinky_UK

Feb 3, 2005
    i just realised that and was about to repost my stupidity! not all English people are as dumb as i am today - too much pesky beer last night!
    I have a plan about the back plate thing. as i only need the bottom 2 spaces for the amp i can leave the top screws in place so hopefully that will hold the top at least! and when/if i add a rack tuner or something the amp will hold it in place when i do the top. Well thats the theory! i may use some tape and then screw through that if i have to!
    Many Many thanks i'm off home now to try !!