Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you keep the hands hot?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by thebassmuchacho, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Ive got regular jazz gigs on weekends which recquire a little bit of chops, but the thing is, the gigs are outside and its starting to get a little nippy. Ive tried a number of things, but im guessing because of poor circulation, my hands wont warm up. It leaves me slow and unmusical because i cant really feel what im playing. Any tips on how to keep the hands warm for the cold gig?

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I used to be in the same position. My solution was gloves with fingertips cut off, and warm heating pads in the jacket pocket between the songs.

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah, i'd either say gloves that cover your entire hand, or with the fingertips cut off. and make sure the rest of your body is warm also?

4. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    yeah right.. ive had that once at a hal in the winter.. when ur fingers are so cold theres no decent movement in them.. it wud look pretty funny with gloves IMO. but yeah worth a try

5. bigyellowhead76

bigyellowhead76

Jul 14, 2004
    the best gloves to use would be paintball gloves. they have very little material and the fingers are cut off. they are made of leather so that should keep them warm.

its not so much that your hands get cold its because your fingers get cold and your joints start to freeze ( in my opinion )

you could probably just stick your hands in your pockets between songs

6. daverival

daverival

Jul 19, 2004
    how long do u lot have between songs my bands been playing for like a year and try to keep gaps to a minimum(like 4 to5 sec) not really long to warm ur cold hands) and only include a couple of little breaks to talk to the audience while people change their setups for the next song.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

in my school during the winter, where i am in the music room can get cold since i am in the back near the wall of the jazz bigband. my fingertips get cold. i just cup my hands together and blow air into them between songs.

8. Drink some coffee on stage... warms your whole body up so your hands don't get as cold, plus warms your hands when you pick up the cup.

I practice in a basement and in these Canadian winters I have the exact same problem for 6+ months a year.