1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you keep track of your strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassamatic, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

For those of us with several instruments that like to try different strings - do you have a method to help keep track of what string is on what bass? I always think that I can remember, but other than the D'Addarios with the colored balls they all look alike.

maybe write it on a piece of masking tape and stick it to the neck plate?

C'mon geniuses!

2. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    Put a note in your Talkbass profile with the bass and what it's strung with? I don't personally use this but it may help someone.

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I save the package they came in & write the date and bass they are on

4. I keep the most recently replaced set of strings in the case, for an emergency, on each of my basses. I write the date I changed the strings in marker on the paper sleeve, stuck back in the plastic wrap, with the old strings.

5. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Thanks, guys for your input.

6. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    I have a spread sheet on my computer with all my basses listed and what strings, gauges, and when they were put on. This way I can look up what strings I had on 2 sets ago, If that was a sound I liked better but can't remember specifics.

7. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    This.
    I don't go as far as writing the date on them, but this method works great for me.

D

8. krafty

krafty

Mar 22, 2010
    Holland, MI
    (cough)nerd(cough)

:p Just kidding. This is actually a great idea, especially if you're experimenting. I'd almost take it to the next level and use google documents or something so that it's online and you can access it from any online computer, not just your own. That way you could, for example, make notes on a borrowed bass at a friend's house about how awesome it sounded with XXX strings playing whatever. Yeah, it's a lot of work but if you're going to commit to something like this, why not?

9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I'm a geek and an accountant. I had an Excel spreadsheet with data- date, which bass, action settings, cost, exact manufacturer's set name/number, and space for comments after 1 week, 1 month, 10 gigs, and six months. Fortunately I've recovered...

Just use the packaging to write down what bass you restrung and the date. Easy and reliable. Or get a set of Lakland Joe Osborn flats, put 'em on the Precision and never worry about strings (at least for THAT one) again :)

John