How do you keep your pedal settings (faders/knobs) locked in?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Barbaric.Eric, Mar 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hey gang,
    I've seen some clever ways to keep knobs from turning when you pack your pedalboard away, like little rubber O-rings under the knobs (thanks Billy Sheehan), or these things called Stompshields and Loknobs:
    upload_2018-3-5_9-52-21.png upload_2018-3-5_10-4-0.png
    ... But does anyone have any tips to keeping faders from shifting around? Specifically, I have an Electro Harmonix Bass MicroSynth that slides out of the sweet spot every time I pack it away in it's case. I'm sure some players have the same problem with the POG 2 and some EQ-type pedals. Any advise from TB'ers who have scowered the internet for such a product or have tried some clever DIY fixes?

Thanks,
    E

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    O-rings under the knobs work for me. Cheap and effective.

Coolhandjjl and saabfender like this.
  3. I take a reference photo with my handy dandy always at hand cellphone, duh.

Back in the day I used to keep hand drawn reference sheets, old habit from analog mixers for live and recording studios.

Steveaux, Coolhandjjl and lz4005 like this.
  4. I just memorize them all. The perk of playing original songs :)

5. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Tape 'em down. I switch my setting too much for anything more permanent, but once you hit the golden spot the tape goes on quick and easy (and comes off even easier).

JimboP likes this.
  6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Someone I know of uses a hot glue gun to fix knobs into position. Apparently, it peels off again without residue or damage. Wouldn't want to try it myself though.

Otherwise, I seem to recall there was a pen of some description made for mixing desks and pedals that you could mark knob positions and wiped without damage when no longer required. Perhaps a chinagraph pencil would be appropriate too.

7. For a Pog or other pedals with faders I would slide the faders up and out of the way, put down some masking tape over the fader channel, cut a slot for the fader to move and mark the spot you prefer.

Being and Bass likes this.
  8. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    $0.90 at any office supply store. Also great for coloring in the little divots on cheap black volume knobs so you can see where they're adjusted to.

Wipes off with a damp cloth. Or scratches off with your fingernail.
    [​IMG]

A-Ro, Barbaric.Eric and Coolhandjjl like this.
  9. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Yeah, that the chinagraph pencil I mentioned. But I seem to recall a different type of pen, almost like a correction fluid pen, but wiped off easily without damaging the surface.

10. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

When I like it, I snap a photo. Crude but effective.

--^@

11. BassWaffle

BassWaffle

Apr 10, 2011
    DC/Maryland
    I usually just leave stuff where it is and hope its in the same place when I get to the venue. I also mess around with my settings constantly so im not into any permanent or semi-permanent solutions. Really complicated or sensitive pedals, Ill take a picture of to make sure I have it at the right place. I try to prevent anything from laying on top of my board, so in theory the settings shouldnt change between my rehearsal space and the venue.
    Honestly though I just make sure I check each pedals settings during soundcheck, especially since each room is different and some changes might be necessary.

12. Attached Files:

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021