Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do you know if you asre getting better?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bongo499, Feb 4, 2005.

1. bongo499

bongo499

Jan 10, 2005
    syosset
    i am curious to know a very good way to find out if a bass player is progressing and becomeing better as hes playing.. leave your thoughs.

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    You get better when you practice, practice, practice and avoid measuring your own ability (unless you are taking stock of what you want or need to learn).

3. You know you're getting better when someone else (especially a non-bassist or even a non-musician) tells you so.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

When the swelling goes down, the itching and burning stop, and the rash clears up.

5. It is when you start to accomplish things that you didn't before ie: rep of songs or learnt a new technique or know a new scale that you did'nt before
    But I think deep down if you feel satisfied inside then there is your answer

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Woohoo! Halfway there!

7. "We have semen from three different men and a gunshot wound here"- Detective Stabler

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Your arse is getting better when you don't need to sit on the rubber doughnut any more.

9. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    For me, there is no one answer to that.

Some of my observations are:

Less effort to fret correctly.
    Better at muting.
    Trying not to think about what I am playing.
    Not looking at the fretboard as much.
    Using my index and pinky to fret more often.
    Becoming adept at fingerstyle and pick.
    More meticulous about your tone.

Hope that helps,

10. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    i joined a band after about 10 months of playing bass alone. everyone said i was good.... i guess they meant compared to the short amount i have been playing because now, 4 years later, i look back to the demo we recorded... WHOA! i sucked!!!

i guess another 5 years from now i would look back at the recordings i'm doing now and say "WHOA! I sucked!" and then look back at my first recordings and have a heart attack.

11. haythamehab

haythamehab

Dec 10, 2004
    Have you ever been satisfied :eyebrow: ........i don't get how a player can be ever satisfied there are always new things to learn

12. Brat

Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    When you try and try to get a song but can't. Then some time period later, you decide to try it again and it comes to you like gravy.

13. I mean satisfied in a sense of accomplishing something which you haven't learnt and being able to accomplish the task at hand is a good feeling ,then you learn something else like you mentioned and the same again by doing this you are building your skills which will satisfy the soul I mean it feels good when you know how to read or can play by ear , Learn a song or can write out lines of others or play slap..etc
    But I agree there is always something to learn but don't you feel good after a good day of practicing /playing whereas if you didn't practice that day you tend to feel guilty I know I feel satisfied after each practice session then you know that you're getting better so it is good to pat yourself on the back now n then ( make sure you are being true to yourself though by proper practice )
    This is what motivates me to play Bass by accomplishing tasks in which makes me feel satisfied and when you have that feeling it is like a drug you become addicted to it and therefore want more

14. Isn't that when someone is talking about it????

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Easiest way is to record your playing, then put the recording away for six months before you listen to it again. I have some recordings of myself playing almost 30 years ago and it's pretty scary to hear how bad I was.

Anyway, that's a sure way to gauge if there has been improvement.

16. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    every time I see another band and realize the bass player is better than me!