1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how do you know when enougth is enougth???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by elavate7, Apr 26, 2010.

1. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    i have a 200 watt head, 120 at 8 ohm. my first cab was a 4x8, but i just added a 210. i got a second cab because i thought i needed the extra speakers, but now im starting to think its overkill. im in a church band with 2 keyboards who run 350 watt combos, a guitarist with a 40 watt combo ( who soon wants to get a stack), a hard hitting drummer, and latin percussions on the side. im thinking of taking the 210 out but im not sure...

2. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    there's an "enough" ? When did this happen?! Why wasn't I told?!

3. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I'd actually sell the 4x8 and get another 2x10.

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I also suggest selling the 4x8 for a 210 or getting another 4x8. Matching cabs are best for volume and tone concerns. Your rig is never truly overkill unless you have like 8 bass cabs behind you going full blast and you are truly drowning everyone out. Even then, a few simple knob turns and you can make even that rig work well in a lower volume situation. Overkill rigs are the way to go in the bass world - you can always turn it down and/or diminish a tone so it fits in the venue you are playing!

5. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    well alot of pple run 410+115 so whats the difference from my 4x8+210???? im just curious bout the matching speaker statement.......

6. RFord04

RFord04

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    It works sometimes, to some peoples ears, but a lot of people would agree that its best to match speaker sizes for a number of reasons. Do a search on "matching speaker sizes" and you'll find a lot.

7. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    matching speakers

8. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    enougth is enough when there's no "t" in it.

9. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Two of the same speaker cabs will always be louder and sound more uniform than mismatched cabs. Different bass cabs project tone and volume in different ways and combining two different cabs can cause phase cancellation. You basically will not hear certain parts of your tone with mismatched cabs BUT, mismatched cabs can give you a tone like no other! If you want to experiment, go right ahead! The best way to look at it - if you like the cab you have now, buy another and you will get more of everything you like. If you want a more unique tone, try different cabs together.

10. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    you know you got enough when you're not pushing your rig hard, can turn up and drown everyone else out, and you can play and be heard at a relatively low (amp) master volume and mix very well in the band. IMO, that's when you know you got enough. :)

+1 to previous post as well.

11. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    Enough is never Enough!

12. strangely a scene from Ground hog day is playing in my mind.

well you can always use a little more... am I right or am i right ,, right right.

13. Just because people do it doesn't mean it's right ;)

14. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Certainly not overkill in my opinion as you can always turn down as needed. That said, I've been playing an SVT through a Bergantino NV412 in our church - so not sure how much you'll get from me on the sensibility front... ;)

15. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle Guest

Apr 8, 2010
    Time to start looking for an 8x10 rig!!!:bassist:

16. Bass4Gsus

Bass4Gsus

Feb 13, 2010
    Deer Park NY
    Sorry if this seems obvious,

What about a bi amp head (I know not original question), one preamp with two power amps inside. I now have a bi-amp 1000W head with a 410 and 115 but now with a 5 string, it doesn't handle the low B. I have a 210Neo on order which I plan on running by itself, but If I need more speaker I thought I would add the 410 on the high freq amp and put the 210 on the low freg amp since it can handle the lower frequency.

Since I eventually plan on getting a 500w mono 5lb head, (to save another 30lbs of lugging) adding the 410 to the 210Neo would appear to be a bad idea for that 500w mono head, correct??.

For my main use, the 210Neo and 500w mono head is plenty, but in the lucky chance I need more speaker I expected to bring out the 1000W bi-amp head with the 410 and 210Neo in bi-amp mode. This should be good, correct??

Thanks

17. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
    it's hard to say when it's enough, but you will definitely know when it's too much ;)

18. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    As The Dead said: Too much of everything is just enough!

19. kenlacam

kenlacam

Nov 8, 2005
    akron, ohio
    when your spell-check fails miserably....

20. When you play the open E and it sets off car alarms in the parking lot?