Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you know when to change strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Robin Ruscio, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    I have to admit thay i've always just changed them once a year (as someone who plays the bass alot, 15 hrs a week or so), but i was curious if anyone has good suggestion for really knowing. With EB i can always tell because of the sound but on DB it's much harder because the change happens so slowly. I've been suspicous my strings are a bit dead know, but i'd hate to throw on a new set and not have them sound any better.

playing on D'addario hybrids, FYI

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am playing on D'Addario Hybrids as well. They are my favorite steel string. Dark, and they sound pretty good arco IMO. DB strings last a long time. I change mine when I start to loose pitch definition. The intonation starts to waver. Depends on how you play, and how much you play.

3. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    how would you evaluate that? I thought those intonation problems were just me . . .

4. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    My strings need to go when they seem to be noticably harder to play in tune, they feel stiffer, the tone is either too muffled or too strident - dependent on the type of string, sometimes they will need tuning too often. I think the pitch problem comes from damage by overstretching.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am talking about the open strings not sounding focused. The pitch starts to waver.