How do you know when to give up?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 18, 2005.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am curious as to what criteria or level of dissatisfaction you set for yourself when you give up on something IE relationship a job that means alot to you but has been enormusly difficult and has provided for more headaches then fullfillment.Thanks
  2. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    When you find something better
  3. That's a perfect criterium right there. ;)
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I usually give up before I start trying.
  5. i would say that depends on how much you want it. If you really want to do something, you will, if you really don't you won't.
    Just think about the end result. If the end result is worth all the hard work, i'd say stick with it. your example is like college for me right now. all i am doing is homework, and going to classes, which isn't fun, and the homework isn't easy (especially JAVA!) but a college degree is important for me, and i know that after 4 years or so of headaches and hassles, i will get a degree, and that is definatly worth all the time and money i put forth, and i will be happy i didn't quit.

you know what i mean sort of?

6. It depends upon an individual's persistence.

But, there can sometimes be a thin line between persistence and stubbornness. Constantly pouring money into a failing business, for example.

As for human relationships, (especially the opposite sex) I think it's wise to give up when you get back less than what you put into it. Some learn this lesson quickly, some never do.

Some marriages end in divorce because both parties agree it's not working - honesty. Time to give up.

Some marriages hang on by the fingernails because at least one person will not admit the relationship is over. Is this true love, devotion or denial? :confused:

As for jobs, unless one is independently wealthy, we all have to get out of bed in the morning (a horrible thing in itself) and do something.

If you can't do what you love, do what you like.
    If you can't do what you like, at least try to do something you can tolerate. Lucky is the person who makes his/her living from their hobby.

Try your best to avoid doing something you hate! The dissatisfaction will overflow into other areas of your life. Easier said than done, I know.

If a person wants to change something in their life, they have to have a meeting with themself, and they have to be completely honest at that meeting.

Many times, when a person begins asking others what they should do about this or that, about John or Jane, they already have the answer in their head.

That's my spin.

Mike ;)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Thats some good insight Mike thanks. :)
  8. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I know what you mean. I am in a relationship right now that i am not sure i'm happy with. Actually, i KNOW i am not happy with it. But at one time, i really was. And i dont know when to give up, when to keep trying, etc. Like, how bad is bad? Everyone in a relationship fights, but how much is "acceptable?" How do you know it's time to move on? I guess, i dont know where to draw the line. Part of me says I am not happy, and i shouldnt kid myself into thinking that i will be any time soon. The other part of me says "what if this is normal? what if this is BETTER than normal? What if what im going through is something we ALL go through, and if i find someone else, i can expect the same thing?" And yet a third part of me says "IF this is what i can expect with any woman, do i even want one?" It's rough, man. Plus, i've got other considerations. Like the old joke: What do you call a bass player who just broke up with his girlfriend? Homeless. :meh:
  9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    yeah, effort is so uncool :D
  10. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I always give up everything I do, I dont know why, I just swim through and endless river of hobbies... But Music in general is my longest time at one hobby, 10 years and going strong, Bass only 2
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    In life experiences and knowledge with real lasting value are rarely achieved without a great deal of effort.
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    In all reality, I'm surprised I'm devoted to music as much as I am. I have so many projects going on right now that are started, but not finished. It's kinda sad. Hell, that's one of the main reason I don't play video games, especially RPGs. I was playing my girlfriends game called, "Kingdom Hearts" (Crazy as hell, Disney vs. Final Fantasy, Donald Duck as my sidekick, how can I go wrong), and I seriously made it to the main boss and lost interest, and I haven't played it since (about a year ago)
  13. If I may...

This has given me great comfort through the years- I hope it can be of some use to you.

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Reminds me of the Book of the Ecclesiastes.
    1 The words of the Teacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem. 2 "Absolute futility," says the Teacher. "Absolute futility. Everything is futile." 3 What does a man gain for all his efforts he labors at under the sun?
  15. I don't give up until I realize that either I don't have the skill or knowledge to finish/compete/maintain my goal, or that some other party will not let me finish/compete/maintain. This is how I got my Eagle, my first and second jobs, and my fiancee.

However, it's also how I got an ulcer at age 19 from the stress at that second job, and why I dated a couple of complete psychos in high school.

But I'm in a good spot now, and if I don't let myself fail, I WILL end up working at a studio, or being recorded in that studio.

Or, dare I say it, I could rule the world.

Rock on
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Generally when the shark has better than half of me bitten off. Before that, never.
  17. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    When the light at the end of the tunnel, assuming there is one, is a giving you 3rd degree burns.
  18. Until you can no longer bite their kneecaps off
  19. ahahah i was gonna post that so not fair but its funny as ****
  20. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I never give up. Persistence almost always pays off eventually. :ninja: