Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you know when your strings are too close to the pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Funkateer, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    I am trying to dial in the action on a new Ibanez BTB 515, and am wondering if the nasty sound that accompanies the attack is due to the strings being too close to the pickups. The sustain is OK, but a most unmusical click-like sound accompanies the attack. If so, do I remove what looks like pickup covers, before adjusting pickup height, or do those screws actually regulate pickup height.

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    the clack might be the sound of the strings colliding with the pickups.. try tightening the screws, therefore lowering the pickups, and see if it goes away.

3. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    I am not familiar with that particular bass, but you should easily be able to adjust pickup height with most ibanez basses I have seen. Not only could it be the string you are plucking hitting the pickup, it could be the string behind it (the string your finger lands on after fingering the intended string). This happens alot on 5 and 6 strings which use soapbar pickups. The pickups are flat while the strings and the fingerboard have a certain radius. So if you have your B string set too low, everytime you finger your E string, your right index (or whatever you use) could cause your B string to hit the pickup and NOT the E string, so be sure to check which one is actually hitting the pickup.http://www.boydbasses.com