Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you know you don't suck?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 7, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I coulda said "how do you know you're a good player?", but I figgered I'd get more attention this way.

I've been thinking about the musicians I've met who could talk up a storm about their instruments, know Q Diminished chords, modes I've never heard heard of, studied theory for 16 years - then picked up their instruments and couldn't play to save their lives.

Are you one of them, and if not - how do you know? Can you honestly assess your playing skills? I think I've got a fairly solid grip on my abilities - and a handful of reality checkers, but I want to see what you all have to say first.

:p

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I do suck.
    'Nuff said.

3. RyldCorborel

RyldCorborel Guest

Mar 12, 2001
    You know you're a good player when you can do the following.

1 - Know when you're in tune or out of tune. This includes being in the right key.
    2 - You can comfortably jam with your friends for a ten minute song.

Once you can do these two things, you're well on your way to becoming a musician. I myself can only do the first one. Well, good luck to you and your endeavors.

David

4. okay, i know this guy who claims to be the best bassist in like, 10-miles. but the only problem is he absolutely sucks! other than just noodling around like a first-timer, all he can play is the opening bars from some limp-bisquit song and the intro to something else. that's it!
    see, i know i suck but i'm still at least ten-times as good as him.:D
    most people haven't heard me play but those who have know the other guy sucks. his whole claim to any kind of talent is his UTTER LACK OF COMPETITION. normally it's okay but when chicks flock to the guy just because he "plays bass" it's pretty agrivating

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think the point should be "Can you play what you want to play?" i would totally suck in anybody elses gig, or playing most other people's music, but in my band, i do pretty well, and i have a clear path of where i want to go, how i want to grow as a player and as a songwriter and what i want to do in the future. so i am somewhat pleased with myself, and i feel that i don't suck. :D

then again, i'm sure that there are a bunch of people who would think that our music sucks, so i would suck in their eyes by default, but that doesn't matter to me.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Originally posted by john turner
    i think the point should be "Can you play what you want to play?"

...I wish(see my above statement). FWIW, over the years, I have gotten 'better' at realizing how to get to a certain place in my playing. For years, I was totally clueless; now I'm merely clueless.

Originally posted by john turner
    then again, i'm sure that there are a bunch of people who would think that our music sucks, so i would suck in their eyes by default, but that doesn't matter to me.

...JT, that's great; your comment tells me you guys are doing something RIGHT! ;)

7. I am under no illusions about my playing. I suck. And it's my own fault. I'm going to practice now..

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i hope so, but i sometimes wonder. i have these nightmares sometimes that we're a joke that nobody gets but us. :eek: oh well, at least we'll be laughing for the right reasons.

9. ross

ross Guest

Mar 17, 2000
    i am pretty sure i suck i've only been playing for a couple of years and i'd have to say i am not that good.I have my band where i fit in pretty well and around them i dont worry too much about sucking.

10. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I don´t THINK I suck because people say I´m good..

11. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Nobody has told me that I suck, so I play under the (false??) impression that I don't suck.
    When I go into an instrument store and hear some people playing basses, most of the time they all sound the same: lifeless and thumpy/clacky. The same thing happens when I hear guitarists or non-musicians play my bass. I think there's something to be said about getting the sound you hear in your head through your instrument. If you can hear/feel like you're playing the instrument rather than the instrument is playing you, that's a big step to becoming a good musician. Does any of that make sense?

12. ive been playing a little over a year now so i wouldnt say everyone in a huge stadium would say im a wonder on the bass, but ive had several people come up to me and say im a good bass player.

if someone tells you you dont suck, you dont suck. For me, as long as at least one person tells me that, i feel ive accomplished something.

also known as my 700th post.

13. Every once in a while I begin to think that Im allright, or that Im gettin good. Then I listen to my teacher Yosh, and Its like gettin hit with a 2x4.
    I get hit with that same 2x4 every week.
    My ego is starting to hurt.

14. odie

odie Supporting Member

In a way I think Im ok, I have agood hear and ok technique. But my theory knowledge is almost
    non-existent, and the amount of practice is nill at times, now that I think of it I do Suck, but I have potential. ;)

15. ask the people you play with
    can you groove

don't ask your parents or any one else related to you, these people tend to try to make you feel good, even though when you are not looking they will think "hmm, i wonder if he will ever get better"

my parents still don't know what a bass does.

:D

16. rubber chicken

rubber chicken Guest

Apr 7, 2001
    colorado
    i think i suck, but i'm not sure....

(hee hee, my first post)

17. When your drummer tells you to turn up....that's a good sign.

18. RyldCorborel

RyldCorborel Guest

Mar 12, 2001
    Aluminum Catfish-
    Is it bad on the same note, if the drummer tells you to turn down?

19. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Here's the problem, unless your an egotistical SOB you are always going to say "I suck". So in my opinion (and mine is the only one that counts :) ) you don't suck if someone tells you you don't suck. So when you can impress a bystander *non musician* you don't suck. When you can impress a musician... you ROCK!

20. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Really? The goal is to impress people? That's news to me. Also, just because someone doesn't trash their own playing and say that they suck doesn't mean they're egotistical. I think saying "I suck" is really harsh and negative. If you know you aren't that great, just work at it. Don't put yourself down.