How do you know...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flambeu, May 15, 2002.

1. Flambeu

Apr 14, 2000
    How powerful is your amp?
    Considering there's nothing on it to give you any clue (except the manufacturer, Vantage), and that at the day of the purchase you were quite young and naive (ok, newbie), and didn't really listen, and you didn't really care, because all you wanted to to at the moment was to plug it in and start rocking :D
    I think I remember him saying it's 30w. But, judging from it's performance, it's much powerful then that, and physically it's much larger (and heavier) then any 30w I've seen.
    Any ideas?
  2. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    On the back of the amp, right beside the input of the A.C. cable the power consumption of the amp (rated in VA) should be indicated. This refers to the maximum power the amp draws from the wall outlet.
    This number is usually around double the rated output power of the amp.
    If I look at my amp: 850VA max. power consumption, 400W power output (RMS).
    (the remaining 450Watts are converted into heat)

The name of the amp can give a hint too (e.g. my amp is called BassBase400). Some manufacturers refer to the max. power output instead of RMS to have a more impressive number though (e.g. Gallien-Krueger RB400 is 400W peak power but only 240W RMS)

BTW: Volume is not directly related to wattage, it depends on other parameters too, so one 30W amp can sound significantly louder than another.