1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you know?

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by zeppelinfreak, Mar 12, 2009.

1. zeppelinfreak

zeppelinfreak

Mar 29, 2007
    How do you know which diminished scale to use?

So far Ive been using my ear, and playing w/h over the less dramatic diminished chords, and h/w over the more dissonant stuff. Usually the song alone gives you enough clues as to which one to use.

But is there any clear cut way to know when to use which?

2. TomSauter

TomSauter

Dec 22, 2004
    Kennesaw, GA
    On a diminished chord use whole/half, and on a dominant chord use half/whole. It's common to generalize a diminished sound over lots of songs, like a rhythm changes. In Bb you would play a whole/half scale, or for a different sound you could play half/whole starting on F

3. SimpleIsBest

SimpleIsBest

Apr 24, 2009
    C7b9 = C or Eb or Gb or A half/whole

Co7 = C or Eb or Gb or A whole/half

Or even easier (for me anyways) is to only think of the whole/half scale all the time. I call it the "diminished scale". Then, when you have a C7b9 chord play that scale but start it on the major 3rd (E)

so...

C7b9 = E whole/half

You do have to be able to think of the major third of the chord quickly but that's good for you anyways.