How do you learn a song?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Lowner, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    When you have the bass line to learn from a song and you are lucky enough to have tab to learn it from do you learn measure for measure or note for note or what? Do you try to take it all at once? I am trying to learn some songs and find myself biting off more than what I can chew. I tend to want to learn a song all at one time. Input appreciated on how you learn songs from tab...thank you.
  2. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I learn songs by listening to a recording. Sometimes will learn from written notation. Very rarely by tab.

Congrats on your 100th post! Congrats to me for #500! peace
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    When you're trying to learn a song, regardless if it's tab or sheet music or by ear, break it down into sections. Listen to it several times in a row, and identify the chorus and the verses and the bridges. Learn them section by section and then combine them. It will get easier!
  4. even if u still cant learn after what the others said then try guitar pro its the same as a tab but plays it out for you

1 site that is good if yoir looking for some guitar pro files is 911tabs
  5. Before my rant begins, I am going to assume you are talking about a song we hear on radio....

Listen, listen, listen. If you can't say it, you can't play it. Your part goes, "Bee boo baah! biddity biddity boo bah! 'rest rest' blikita bippity boo ba bay boy!" and so on... You should "know the song" in your head. You should be able to 'sing' your part, even if you are not a singer... Imagine the god of bass comes down from the clouds and takes your instrument. The deity then says to you, "You must tell me your part! Sing it, say it, grunt it, but convince me you know how it goes or you may NOT have this bass!"

You need to listen to it a lot. Visualize it a lot. Before you can really know it, you need it to live in your head.

That may be over simplification, but think of it this way... If you have the tab in front of you, no problem, right? Can you have the tab in front of you on stage? Not likely... So learning from a tab can really become a crutch. Listen to the song... listen to it a lot!

If you can't say it, you can't play it.

6. MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    Hi, Just wanted to chime in on this and say, definitely listen, listen and listen again(YES!). Divide the song in sections(YES!). I have worn out a many song on vinyl albums this way(did I say vinyl??) some of you guys remember what those are right?
    I know this might sound dumb but . . make sure your bass is in tune before trying to learn parts. I start by playing thru the song by root notes as the chords change, then you can add later, get the frame of the song down first. Just my 2cents on 39years of playing bass.
    Just as a side opinion I never learn songs by TAB.