1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you like the looks of the new Yamaha BB 414x?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by terribilino, Apr 9, 2009.

1. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    I posted in another thread asking about this bass, and from one guy's answer I realized that this isn't for sale in the US yet. I think it's just a BB 414 with a pickguard, and I was wondering if one could find different pickguards for it besides black.

It seems to come in two flavours - black or white. I'm kind of torn. They both look good, and for the money it's sure to be a hot seller. Which do you prefer?

From the Italian site: http://it.yamaha.com/it/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_basses/bb414x_black_metallic/?mode=overview

9C91307BBDDB4873B0982AAC09E26B3E_12002.

1A17D415235449B9BEE6B2A6DCA00486_12002.

2. IMHO I think they're both ugly but I'd prefer the black on black to the white on black.

3. White. Nice contrast with the pickguard. That really looks different from the standard 414.

4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    i like them both, kinda old school! Makes me think of picking up a 414 to abuse again.

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    They took a nice bass and adding a helping of Wrong Sauce - that bass looked perfectly fine sans pickguard. Yamaha can certainly make some nice instruments, but some of their decisions confound the h-e-double hockey sticks out of me (lack of promotion and even stocking of instruments - did anyone ever actually see a RBX-JM2 on an American shelf?)

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Looks awful, kludgy and cheap.

Pickup mounting is particularly unsightly.

Hey, you asked...

7. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    Don't worry, I don't own the company.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Three words. Butt Ass Ugly. YMMV

9. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    I like it.

10. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    I saw that Yamaha is putting out a Glenn Hughes Signature model. www.glennhughes.com. It is a BB414 with the pickguard and a chrome control plate (like a jazz) looks better than just a standalone guard. It also has a maple board with black ovals.

11. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Looks like someone put a Peavy Milestone pickguard on a Yamaha bb.

Not a fan myself... looks cobbled.

12. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    WHITE

13. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I never was a fan of the huge round body look of the BB.

14. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Oh Baby...I love BB's! I do not like these with pickguards though. I owned an early BB1200 and it came with a factory pickguard which I decided to never put on the bass because it was ugly. I just hope I'll be able to find a white BB414 and it not have a pickguard on it.

15. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    But it wouldn't be a BB without its Big Butt.

It looks like Tony Kanal has a custom BB with a p-bass pickguard that looks classy.

16. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Personally, I kind of like it. I generally prefer basses with pickguards and this one looks decent without resorting to a blatant Fender knock-off.

17. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    May not be blatant, but everything about the bass is 'fender' copy. If it was blatant copy of fender, it wouldnt be as ugly. It's like saying Lexus never copied Mercedes.

18. I like them both, especially since they have pickguards which is a look I prefer.

19. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I've never been a fan of the Yammy BB series basses. The bodies are huge and the chrome pickup trim looks cheap. That being said, the black on cream is rather nice.

20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Not a huge fan of the pick guard. But if I had the black on black It would probably grow on me.