1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you like this mod? (Heavy modded Ibanez Mikro Content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Looks stunningly amazing, just wow!

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. Nice job!

14 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. It's alright I guess!

18 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. What a mess!

44 vote(s)
    32.4%
  5. Looks horrible!

17 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. It would have looked better if you just had put some carrot stickers on it!

4 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. It would have looked better if you just had put some carrot stickers on it!

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  8. Uhm, interesting!

35 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    lzYk1UT.jpg

Already there:

Cheap classic Fender style bridge, EMG P/J Geezer Butler Pickups, green stripe, red lower horn, orange circle with signs.

To be added:

Seymour Duncan Rickenbacker neck replacement pickup SRB-1n sprayed black in far neck position, DiMarzio Satch Track DP425 humbucker strat guitar replacement pickup in far bridge position, 1 on/off switch for each of the 4 pickups, green pick guard.

2. fghtffyrdmns

fghtffyrdmns

Oct 22, 2012
    That's... uh... Wow, you've got a lot going on there.

3. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    If it has, as I believe, 4 conductors, I'd try it wired internally in series. In parallel it would be probably much quieter than the other pickups (because of position primarily - less string excursion there), and unless you only need it for recording, or would use it live but never soloed or never for less than a whole song or never without a concomitant volume boost from a pedal, the volume mismatch might be a concern.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Whelp, that's a lot of pickups!!

NoiseNinja and Joe Murray like this.
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Ummm......errr......hmmmm........uhhhh..........wow.......yeah.........so.......interesting..........ok! :speechless:

NoiseNinja, MYLOWFREQ and bolophonic like this.
  6. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Thank you.

I do plan to wire it in series, and I chose one of the hottest guitar pickups they made while still having the desired tone profile on purpose.

I realize that there will most likely be a lot of volume boosts and drops involved depending on what pickup combination I chose, but I do have an external volume pedal to compensate for that.

Also I probably won't ever be changing pickup configuration mid song, and will probably even leave the exact same combination on most of the time.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  7. That "Strat" pickup is actually designed with HSH or HSS Ibanez guitars in mind:

This is Satch, using his signature pickup:

joesatriani.jpg

NoiseNinja likes this.
  8. twinjet

twinjet WASH YOUR HANDS Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    It is rather odd-looking, to my eyes. But, this does not matter. Only if you like it.

NoiseNinja and bolophonic like this.
  9. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    What kind of tone are you hoping to produce?

10. Many tones, for a healthy broad timbre.

NoiseNinja and Dean N like this.
  11. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    Was that bass abducted by aliens?

NoiseNinja, 47th Street and twinjet like this.
  12. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Nah, very rid of it. A bass like that is going to be too limited in available tones. You should have given yourself options....

NoiseNinja likes this.
  13. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Rad!

NoiseNinja likes this.
  14. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Wow.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  15. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I like it in the context that it is well on the way to destroying a model of bass I don't like.

That said, I'm a big fan of no-pot wiring and on/off switches.

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Looks like fun!

Be sure to share some sound clips when it's done. :thumbsup:

NoiseNinja and 47th Street like this.
  17. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I doubt that either of the additional pick-ups would create any usable tones, at least for me. The bridge pick-up is so close to the bridge that there won't be a lot of string vibration at that point, so the output would be noticeably lower. You could use a hotter pick-up, but you still face limitations just based on the minimal amount of string travel that close to the bridge node. The bridge pickups in my PJs suffer from this, and they aren't as close as that single coil. What signal you would get out of this would probably be thin and harsh, maybe a little nasally if some upper mids end up fighting their way through. As for the neck pick-up, I'm guessing it would have a very EB-0 tone, which I am not into either. Bassy, but not in the nice, round punchy way. Instead, just sub 80hz mess. Multiple pick-ups also have a weird way of removing frequencies due to phase cancellation (if you're not well versed on this, there are a few really great threads on the topic you can search for), so I would be nervous about unwanted phase cancellation causing certain pick-up combinations on a bass like that to cause all kinds of trouble to your tone.

That all being said, it also might sound great! Only way to find out is to hack that little Ibanez to pieces. I wouldn't do it, but I also wouldn't have tried to find a westward route to India, but thank god someone did (cause I'm American, and that Columbus guy was kind of a big deal for us)

Oleg BassPlayer likes this.
  18. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Ok, where to start...:blackeye: ... I really don't know where to start...:meh:

NoiseNinja likes this.
  19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado

I love it!!!!

NoiseNinja and 47th Street like this.