How do you like to be introduced on stage?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by JDT, Sep 30, 2005.

1. I was curious if you guys have anything special that you want to hear when being introduced to the audience before getting off the stage.

I'm a 'on bass'-man myself, keep it short and simple. But my singer/guitarist always starts off by saying something along the lines of 'and indisposable (sp?) to the band, the guy keeping it all together...'. So that draws a bit of attention to me, which is nice:)
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I just like my full name, that's it....anything more will not get them lower labor and cartage from me....
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am also the "on bass" type. Nothing more needs to be said. But sometimes more is. ;)
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    "Rocking the low end..."

Maybe? Normally it's just "on bass..."
  5. trog

Nov 8, 2003
    We're too cool to introduce ourselves :D
  6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

After 19 years of playing I think I can count with one hand the times I've been introduced on stage. Here's one of them. In Spanish, of course, but anyway... "¡Alvaro Martín en el bajo! ¡Un aplauso para él!" ("Alvaro Martín on bass! An applause for him!") That feels good!

Link to the video:
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

8. I prefer

"and now... the guy who books the gigs, deals with the club owners, handles the money, sets up the pa, maintains the website, produces the demos and ...oh yeah... on bass!"
  9. jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    "Who was that guy on bass?" :eek:

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I like it when they get my name right.

But other than that, just keep it short.
  11. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I usually talk to the audience because the rest of my band sucks at talking. But when i'm introduced there's a few phrases i like.

"On bass we have danny, who put the thum in thump" - proceed to play Thank you by sly

"On bass we have Danny the dinosaur" - idk why, but I like dinosaurs

Whenever i have to solo or something the singer allways calls me. In the funk song we have he calls out "Danny boy". And in sweet jane (lou reed) he calls out "The one, the only Danny Kolliner"
  12. mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    "The major rager on the 4 string mutha-f****r" :D

Seriously, i don't like to be introduced at all.
  13. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Before the lasers, but after the smoke machine. The last syllable of my name must coincide with the gong hit.
  14. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I'm just usually "on bass", we do that for all of us, sometimes we play a little something after each of our names.
  15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That must be confusing....

On bass, <bass player's name>
    On bass, <drummer's name>
    On bass, <guitar player's>

16. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Lol. We should try that sometime and see if anyone notices :D.
  17. The best for me is when I sub for this one band every couple of months,
    the singer says "That's Al on bass, we just call him and he shows up and knows the songs better than I do."
  18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Personally, I don't like to be introduced on stage. Makes me uncomfortable. Just let me play, man! ;)
  19. FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Okay....this may be kinda cheezy to some of you, but since I play in a classic rock band, we do this cool drum/bass groove thing leading up to our last song prior to our encore (yes, we do get calls for encores!)

The last song is Dirty Deeds by AC/DC. I'm playing this little groove with the drummer, and our vocalist introduces our band name (again), then talks a bit about who we are, what we're about etc.. Then he goes down the line, introducing each one of us. When he calls each persons name, we take a 2 measure solo....nothing fancy....but it sells. People always cheer loudly.

He usually introduces me as "And now....the guy that holds down the low end....."

Then when the drummer is called, I stop playing, and he plays a quick solo....then I jump back in, right in time. The singer finishes by introducing himself, and then he starts to tell a story.

He says "You know us as Dallas' Premier Classic Rock Band....but what you probably don't know, is that in our spare time, we're actually mercenary guns for hire.....we'll take care of your problems and make them go away.....Dirty Deeds, Done Dirt Cheap." At that cue, we BLAST into the song, and the audience always goes nuts!

Fun....corny, but fun. :cool:
  20. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    I think people generally like to be introduced to the band.. I tend to get an "on the bass, ......." which is fine by me, and i'll usually give a smile & a little bow to acknowledge the response :) :bassist: