How do you like to be "tried out?"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, May 15, 2002.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    In regards to trying out for a band: Do you like to learn their songs ahead of time, or do you prefer to just learn 'em on the fly? Do ya'll (unusual for a guy that's lived 7/8 of his life in Wisconsin, to be using the word "ya'll," isn't it?) just jam for a bit and see what kind of musical direction you want to go in, or do you decide what you want to do before you even get together? Do you like to meet the perspective members at a bar or club, away from the instruments for a chat first, or do you like jamming with people you've never met before? Has anyone had to audition with the musician you would be replacing right there with you?

My preference is that I meet with the band for a beer or two, to discuss where I (we) want to go and if everything "jives," decide on five or six songs and give everyone the opportunity to learn them, before we get together to jam. If it's an all-original band, I like to have a copy of the music first, so I don't have to learn someone else's stuff as I (we) go along. There's enough pressure on me just being the "wannabe," without having to learn the songs right then and there as well! I'd also prefer to not have the guy I would be replacing watching on (it's happened to me and it wasn't cool! It was news to dude that he was being replaced -- until I showed up)!

How 'bout you?
  2. 1.) Know the type of music that will be played. (at least most of it)
    2.) Meet the people that are, or that will be in the band.
    3.) Discuss responsibilities about equipment, pratice times, etc.
    4.) This is just me and refers back to #2. Understand that it should be fun first, the rest is gravy. If not, I don't want any part of it. You all know that I'm a silly goose, don't cha? :p

Mike J.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

- Give me a recording of the audition songs and tell me about your band. I'll tell you a bit about me.

- Give me a couple of days to do them passably well

- Tell me where to be at what time (directions, please)

- I'm there with bells on

The interpersonal chemistry will happen/not happen eventually, anyway.
  4. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    My preferred method of trying out for a band is:

1. Get a copy of the material they want me to play with them at least 24 hours before hand so I can learn it.

2. Show up and play the required material and then, time permitting, suggest we play something else from their material that I haven't prepared (just learn an original on the fly or play a cover tune that I may or may not already know).

The cold hard facts are that you get all kinds... My least favorite audition ever was with a guitarist and a drummer that said in their ad that they wanted to do "jazz/fusion" music. When I showed up for the audition, they had yet to tell me a single song that they wanted to play.. the audition itself was no better. The guitarist (a no-talent ass clown) suggested we play "La Bamba"... uh huh. I believe we also trudged through such jazz classics as "Mustang Sally" and "All Along the Watchtower"; at which point I had had enough and told them not to call me, I'd call them.. I packed my stuff and left.
  5. The best band I was ever a part of, I learned 16 songs in 3 days before trying out for them. The band I'm in now, I went in cold and learned their songs as we went. I guess overall I'd be more comfortable learning some stuff in advance, but there's also something to be said for the excitement of just showing up and really locking in with a band the first time you play with them.
  6. The last couple auditions I've done the band gave me a certain amount of material to learn prior and have ready to audition. I find those types bands, generally speaking, tend to be more organized and more the type of situation I'd like to be involved in. I've also done a couple auditions where I had to read chord charts. The fact they even had chord charts is also a step in the right direction. Then there's the bands that say, "let's just jam and see if anything happens." While I'm a big fan of spontaneity, I think an audition should be more organized than that.