How do you like to pay for used gear?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Captain Awesome, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    OK. Those of you who buy a lot of used gear over the Internet, how do you prefer to pay for it? (C.O.D. shipping, Paypal or some other secure payment service, etc., etc.)
  2. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If I'm dealing with a music store I'm comfortable with using either Paypal or a credit card.

If I'm dealing with an individual I have never dealt with or communicated with, Paypal.

If I'm dealing with someone that has established credibility and familiarity, I'm comfortable with using a Post Office money order. For example, if I were buying one of JT's Conklins (he wouldn't miss it :D ) I'd use a money order. He has established a reputation and is no doubt interested in protecting it and I know where to find him. ;)

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Well, I don't buy "a lot", but all the gear I buy is used and I like trading back and forth.

I prefer to pay for things by check. It's just a convenience thing and I am willing to wait for it to clear. If I can't pay by check, I just make a postal money order. They're cheaper than cashier's checks.

When selling, I take checks too, although I'll ship something faster if I get a postal money order. I used to have PayPal, but I don't use it anymore. I should check on it for smaller transactions, though.

C.O.D.? If other sellers will do it, sure. Personally, no way.
  4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I'll expand the topic a little, what are some good ways to prevent frauds?
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Try to anticipate the fraud beforehand.

I did a straight trade of my former Roscoe LG-3005 for my current Lakland 55-94 Limited with a guy on the other side of the country (waaay on the other side...Alaska)

After reaching agreement, we both shipped the same day and exchanged tracking numbers. We had given each other references, I checked his out and ended up with an excellent bass.

I've paid with postal MO's and Paypal and if it's a store, I'll use a credit card. I will not use a CC directly with an individual... if they're going to buy a boat they'll need to use someone else's money;)

I actually talk to anyone I'm buying stuff from on the phone (I get their number)... if they balk, the deals off. I get addresses and check them against internet people finders (I know... anal but can you be too anal in these situations?)

So far the only problem I've really had was one weasel who sold to someone else after agreeing to sell to me. No money lost so...