How do you like your Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BassMan2000, Mar 3, 2004.

1. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    I've been playing Double Bass for 4 years now and own a fully carved bass. Through the years it's developed and seasoned and has recieved a good amount of wear and dings but I consider it character of the instrument...

Do you guys like keeping your instrument super nice and clean or like the old character type bass?

I've saw some nice geriatric old Double basses sound excessive and gigantic - beautiful sounding!

In my opinion I really love the look of an old seasoned Double bass to a new one. How about you?
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    My first bass is a beater, and my Jazz bass is my baby. I always keep the MIA Jazz DLX looking great, but the Squire P has stickers all over it. It's got great electronics, and the neck is great. So it's al good.
  3. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002

ummmm, i think you are lost buddy ;)
    but i could be wrong

i like seasoned basses over new ones, they just appeal to me more, that goes for double basses or electric basses.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Woops, this is the DB section. Anyways.... Where's my mommy, I'm lost.... Well, I can still hae an opinion about this I guess. I think I like DB's to be clean and pretty. If it's one of those 150 year old ones, the normal finish checking looks nice, and gives some character. I don't like to see dents and dings, though. Not my cup o' tea.
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    In my first few years of lugging them around, I have found that DBs tend to get plenty of abuse because of the very nature of them. They're so huge, you just can't help banging them on stuff every once in a while. low doorways, stairs, tight stages and pits, you just can't help it.

Show me a bass with a perfect finish, and I'll show you a bass that hasn't been played very much. At least not outside the home.

I would prefer to keep mine as nice looking as possible, just as I do all of my stuff, whether it is a truck, a pair of shoes or a bass. But I don't sweat it if it takes a bruise or two.

I've only had my Shen a few months it is already taken a bang here and there. It happens.

Ceiling fans are my worst nightmare for some reason. They are tough on scrolls.
  6. I've had my Christopher hybrid for almost two years, and I'm ashamed to say that it ain't lookin' too good, despite my best efforts to take care of it. Lots of nicks around the scroll, finish worn off the edges where I set it down and where the upper bout contacts my belly, various nicks on the body. But hey, the thing isn't a piece of furniture, it's a tool of the trade. I'd love to replace the shiny poly spray with an oil finish, but I don't know if that's in the cards.

Other than that, I'm noticing that the sound is really starting to open up, and there's less warm-up time required lately to get it to wake up. The original bridge and soundpost are still on it, which, I'm led to believe, are not the best quality. I plan to have those replaced soon and hope it will improve the sound even more.
  7. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Chasarms I agree with you.. since the instrument is so large even the carefullest movements can still result in a ding or dent.

Mike I suggest you contacting Mike Pecanic

found at

He is super helpful with the briges and tail pieces!
  8. Yes! I've been aware of Dr. Mike and his tailpieces for quite some time, and I also plan to replace the Christopher tailpiece (stained wood of some kind, pear maybe) with one of his compensated creations.

Realistically speaking, this is probably the only bass I will own for a long time, and I want it to sound and play the best that it can.