How do you like your gear reviews?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, May 14, 2002.

1. Long and detailed

34 vote(s)
  2. Short and to the point

2 vote(s)
  3. Vague and useless - Those are the kind I write!

1 vote(s)
  1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I am a big fan of Matt Schmill's Bass Gear Review Archive, but I feel very disappointed when a "review" is nothing more than a single paragraph that basically says how much they like their bass. It's basically an excuse to see their names in print.

When I want to read a review, I'd like to know as many details as possible. Granted, not all people have the expertise to crank out a genuinely helpful review, but vague kudos aren't helpful either. Thoughts?
  2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Agreed. 80% of the reviews in that place are for 90% or above. I love it for a quick check on something to see if its pure crap or not, but for a more detailed analysis of something I'm going to buy, I come here.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i prefer the indepth reviews too. reviews are useless if you don't know what kind of punishment the reviewer inflicts upon the gear. the more someone writes, the more you can tell about them and hopefully extrapolate some kind of idea of how useful or educated their opinion is.
  4. Long and detailed for me too!I like to know all of the ins and outs of the gear to help me make a decision!
  5. I remember reading a few reviews that basically pointed to the fact that the instrument or gear in question was costly so that was reason one for their purchase and reason two it was so good because it cost so much. That makes no good sense in a gear review. I just bought a $250.00 Fender Squier Precision 5 and I found out they are no worst than some high end basses if you know how to play and change a few things on it here and there. That's not to say run out and buy one. I had twelve of them to pick and choose from and I got the best for me and my playing situation. I also have a Zon Sonus 5/2 too, so I have product from both sides of the money spectrum. So I agree with your above statements that some reviews are worthless and seems more geared to the reviewers personal thoughts than the gear itself.
  6. I like very detailed reviews. A review that says: "Great bass." and nothing more won't get me to buy anything. But I usually look past the rating gear is given by the reviewer. If he likes it It'll get a 10, if he hates it It'll get a 0.
  7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I prefer a detailed review too....for reasons mentioned by others here
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
  9. The longer the better. It's also helpful if whoever is writing the review compares the instrument to another more established one which can give us all a sonic reference point. Whenever I read a review that's seems too good and is glowing on too many points it makes me very skeptical. I also can't stand it if the reviewer seems more intent on a Pulitzer nomination than just giving an honest and experienced opinion on a product.

Mike J.
  10. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Guess I want short, to the point, and all details...
    I mean, what's the use of ranting about how fabulous the left screw of the A-string tuner peg is? Those are as useless as the "Great bass!!!" versions.

Well, I try to push that button with the "detailed", just the same.
  11. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I like detailed reviews also. I also like it when the reviewer, reviews the piece of gear in the context of it's purpose and design. I mean, the Squier P bass shouldn't be reviewed as though it were in the same league as a Zon or a Tobias.
  12. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I like the really critical, nitpicky ones, since most magazines aren't capable of these without ticking off their advertisers.

No piece of gear is perfect. I want to know what's wrong with something. If the knobs are cheesy looking, mention it. An unfilled fret kerf--mention it. Nut slot too deep--mention it. Screws not countersunk--mention it. Made perfectly but sounds like crap--mention it.

And if the review form gives you a scale from 1-10, use the whole scale. This ain't the Olympics. Not everything is a 9.8!

You get the idea.
  13. Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I really like it here on TB when people compare gear... it shows the pros and cons relative to other items and just gives way more context in general.