1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you Lock ONLY the keyboard?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mellowinman, Dec 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    On Windows 7, I want to lock the keyboard without locking the workstation. I want the mouse to function, the screens to still show the same data, but effectively disable the keyboard without unplugging it. Can it be done?

2. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Get a wireless keyboard and turn it off. I'm not being smarmy. It's the easiest way I can think of. I've been using a Logitech K360 with the same two double A batteries for six years.

OldDog52 and Paulabass like this.
  4. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    If the goal is simply disabling the keyboard in case the cat walks on it, that would work. If the goal is securing the system from any possible keyboard input, not so much.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    How would the keyboard input anything if it's off?

6. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Both are sound ideas, but it is at work, so I cannot use a different keyboard, and I cannot download anything. I suspect this shall remain a far-off dream. I like to leave my work station unlocked, as I am constantly in IM communication with various parties, and I only leave for seconds/minutes at a time, and I move VERY VERY fast. If I lock the workstation, it shows "away" as my IM status. If I leave it unlocked some wiseass types "please lock me, signed YOUR COMPUTER," and technically, I am in the wrong.

I will probably just have to go back to locking my workstation, and continue to do the thing I most loathe in life:

FOLLOW THE RULES.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Funky Ghost likes this.
  7. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Yeah we have a hard rule of locked when gone as well. I'm used to it now and have much the same scenario as you. I.M.'s are my life at work. Still window key + L is ingrained in my work psyche now.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    There is no good reason to leave a work computer unlocked. I've seen people in healthcare IT get reprimanded severely for leaving an unattended computer unlocked. I don't care how fast you think you move... leave the computer unlocked, someone plug a compromised USB drive in to it and you (and your company) are now wholly owned. Leave it unlocked and the least of your worries are your co-workers pointing out your inappropriate actions.

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Yes, because somehow, someone got past all the security desks and controlled entrances, made it up to the 3rd floor, and plugged something into my computer without the team that has had the same people on it for many years noticing.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Sure, why not? Also, disgruntled worker is a thing.
    I mean, if you think you're above the rules there, then go for it. It's your MO anyway, so everyone around you probably expects the worst.

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    An employee could turn disgruntled real quick.

12. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    By all means, feel free to judge me. Guess which finger I'm holding up right now.

13. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Internal sabotage by a disgruntled employee is a real threat.

14. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I will quote myself from above once again:

I will probably just have to go back to locking my workstation, and continue to do the thing I most loathe in life:

FOLLOW THE RULES.

15. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    And if I ever run into Mr. Gruntled, I am going to kick his ass.

16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Anyway, yah. Logitech K360. Damn fine product.

17. slobake

slobake resident ... something

Hoo boy, this got ugly fast.

DavetheDude and OldDog52 like this.
  18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Circumventing security is rarely a clean thing to talk about :)

slobake likes this.
  19. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Nah. It's cool. No animals were harmed in the making of this thread.

DavetheDude likes this.